Healthy breastfeeding snacks

(8 Posts)
TheABC Sat 11-Jun-16 11:06:52

Just that really. I have a 3 week old DD and I don't want to reach for the cookies all the time. Plus I have a 3yr old DS who happily tucks into anything I have on hand - so anything with extra fruit and veg is a bonus.

At the moment I have found a recipe for reduced sugar oat cookies and chopping up a lot of fruit in the evening for the next day. Any other suggestions?

Ratbagratty Sat 11-Jun-16 11:18:22

Dried fruit mixed with a bit of chocolate for a treat, breadsticks, (nuts if you can keep little fingers away), cut up some salady bit when you get some time, pop into boxes and get them out, think mine lasted 48hrs in fridge cut up. Cheese cubes, make a fruit salad to dip into too. Frozen fruit can defrost small amount as you go. Hope that helps.

Highlove Sat 11-Jun-16 17:26:45

Savoury muffins or scones. Although with a 3-week old only if someone else will make them for you!

Houmous and oatcakes with veg sticks?

Hard boiled eggs

Toast or crumpet or bagel with nut butter

But with a newborn, don't beat yourself up if you and the 3 y/o are having a few too many treats - it won't last forever!

TheABC Sun 12-Jun-16 16:42:55

Yum! Making lots of notes for the shop tomorrow - thanks, ladies. May enlist muffin making friends...

swg1 Sun 12-Jun-16 19:39:55

I need protein. Neeeeed. Otherwise I hit evening, he starts cluster feeding and I get sugarcravings like no-one's business. Fruit and veg did nothing for me, likewise toast didn't help. Cold sausages/chicken in the fridge worked for me.

BettyBi0 Tue 14-Jun-16 15:14:40

Healthy flapjacks.

2 mashed bananas
150g porridge oats
100 ml milk
Add whatever nuts, seeds, dried fruit you want
Mix really well and put in a little greased tin (like the one you'd use for a small Victoria sponge cake)

If you want to make them taste a bit less healthy then add a squeeze of honey, a big spoonful of peanut butter and a couple of teaspoons of coconut oil.

45 mins at 150 degrees

At the moment I'm trying to increase protein so I add about 150g mixture of toasted almonds, pumpkin seeds, poppy seeds, linseed, dried cherries or cranberries but no honey etc. Makes about 10 smallish flapjacks at 110ish calories each. Yum!

You can make all sorts of different yummy variations like choc chip and Brazil nut

Kiwiinkits Tue 14-Jun-16 23:24:44

Peanuts, seeds and nuts are good for making milk. Also eggs, good for iron and long-lasting energy.

Avoid too much chocolate as it can make the baby windy (mine often went a bit spewy if I'd had chocolate).

minipie Wed 15-Jun-16 14:16:03

YY to needing protein

Nuts
Hard boiled eggs
Cheese
Leftover cooked chicken (DH did a roast chicken every weekend so I had some left for the week)

I'll be honest I also ate a LOT of chocolate Hobnobs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now