How do you sidecar a cot to a bed?

(6 Posts)
ODog Wed 08-Jun-16 21:55:15

Just that really. Always coslept as and when needed with 2yo DS but now we have a 3wk old also cosleeping it's just not safe. We have resorted to dismantling our bed frame and 'sidecar-ing' DS's old cot mattress to our mattress but don't want to be on the floor forever! Sidecar-ing newborn would be too far away for her so we need to sidecar toddler in a cot.

Is the cot safe/stable with one side removed? How would we attach to bed without permenent damage? What cheapish cots work best for it? Heard a lot of people use the cheap ikea one...

Thanks.

thescruffiestgiantintown Wed 08-Jun-16 22:08:33

Ikea one is ideal. There are lots of tutorials online if you google 'how to sidecar Ikea cot'.

Or you could rent a Bednest - I think it's about £70.

ODog Thu 09-Jun-16 06:53:02

Thanks scruff. Bed nest would be too small for toddler and newborn won't be that far from boob at the moment, hence why it has to be a cot. I'll have a little Google.

thescruffiestgiantintown Thu 09-Jun-16 20:29:25

Oh I'm so sorry, I didn't read your OP properly! Of course the bednest would be too small for a toddler. blush

We currently have toddler in the middle and newborn on the outside with a bed guard, but we do have a king size so there's just about room for us all.

polkadotdelight Fri 10-Jun-16 09:52:28

We did something similar. Even with the dropside off the cot it was very stable. We left the bedframe alone but cable tied the cot to the bed frame and used a rolled up sofa throw to fill the small gap between the two mattresses. It worked very well.

polkadotdelight Fri 10-Jun-16 09:53:25

Just to add, we only had DS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now