Formula feeding on the go

(8 Posts)
Whosthemummy16 Wed 01-Jun-16 21:16:28

My 11 week old has just been put onto soya milk.
I'm slightly confused how to make feeds when out, as you have to use boiled water to kill any bacteria in the formula milk.
Previously we were using the ready made formula bottles but I can't find these in the soya milk.
Any advice would be great as we love our days out and DD loves her milk !

cowbag1 Wed 01-Jun-16 21:24:11

A thermos flask of boiling hot water and a measured amount of cooled boiled water? Plus formula measured out in a little pot. I used the ready made bottles as they're much easier but see you can't do that. You just need to make sure you use the hot water within a few hours so it's still hot enough to kill the bacteria in the formula. Failing that, you might be able to get a bit of hot water when you're out and about (people's houses, cafés etc), although some places can be funny about it.

MrsPatrickDempsey Wed 01-Jun-16 23:16:55

Really interesting that she is on soya milk. Thought it was contraindicated before the age of 6 months? Guessing she has an allergy and wondering why soya instead of a hypoallergenic formula? Just genuinely interested - hope I don't sound confrontational!

boopdoop Wed 01-Jun-16 23:20:41

So a couple of things which I’ve found so so helpful... You can make the formula up before you go out, with boiling water as you usually would, and as long as you cool them quickly they are then fine to stay in the fridge for several hours - i am presuming it's the same with soya. (I worried about keeping it in the fridge at first and never left it more than 8-10 hours, but found out our maternity ward do that so if they do for newborns then I figured it'd be fine!!! Anyway, once you've made them up, use these two things to take with you are you are sorted:

- Fridge-to-go: www.amazon.co.uk/223/dp/B0040AJP5W - this is amazing! It keeps bottles at fridge temperature for up to 8 hours, which means you can make up your bottles and take them with you, and they stay cold enough for the whole day. With one extra normal freezer block in it even kept ice cubes of purée food frozen for 6 hours!! Very impressive! I can’t recommend this highly enough with bottles. And as they get older you can use it for lunches etc too, keeping yoghurts and cheese cold on days out!

- Travel bottle warmer (which you’ve borrowed too!): www.amazon.co.uk/Tommee-Tippee-Closer-Nature-Travel/dp/B002L3TEN8 - Obviously if you are out and about and kept the bottles at fridge temp, the you need to heat them up. Most places refuse to heat bottles up now, so you have to have your own. This is really useful.

Hope that helps.

boopdoop Wed 01-Jun-16 23:21:43

(Excuse the "whix you've borrowed too" - I cut and paste from an email to a friend!!!)

Whosthemummy16 Thu 02-Jun-16 11:15:47

It is hypoallergenic I think not soya! Ive only just collected the prescription for the milk this morning and read it properly, I just presumed it would be soya, was distracted talking to the GP as she knew my partner
Those things from amazon look great.
Thank you all for your help.

JayDot500 Thu 02-Jun-16 21:16:48

When we're out we use the 250ml (or something) little cartons of milk. We have the Tommie Tippee travel thermos thing to keep hot water in and heat the milk in a pee sterilised bottle (wrapped up in a mini plastic food bag prior to use). Look and see if ready made cartons of hypoallergenic milk is available.

If your little one is still on smaller bottles then pre measured powder in small containers plus the hot water from the thermos works better as there is less wastage.

I always leave the house with a fresh hot bottle of milk because my son feeds every two hours, so the first feed is always the easiest while I'm out.

JayDot500 Thu 02-Jun-16 21:19:40

Wee* not peegringringrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now