chicken pox vaccine?

(20 Posts)
BibbidiBobbidi Wed 01-Jun-16 10:20:45

I'm wanting to get my baby vaccinated against chicken pox.

Has anybody else done this?
How much did you have to pay and were there any side effects?

(Cost isn't an issue, I'll be getting it done regardless of how much it is but would like to know how much I need)

TIA smile

Blankiefan Wed 01-Jun-16 21:28:59

We did it. From memory, there were two jabs - done about six months part.

No side effects that I recal.

I'd do it again. Dd has eczema so chicken pox on top of that would be bad. Also (and pretty hard heartedly), it would mean a week off work which is not how I want to spend my annual leave. Obviously health considerations were primary.

NakedMum33and3rd Wed 01-Jun-16 21:31:56

We did it for both of our DS. My 4 year old has just caught chicken pox despite having the vaccinations a year ago. He only got 10 spots and there were no other symptoms.
He had no reaction to the vaccine. I'm very grateful to the vaccine.
I had chicken pox 3 times as a child!

Pollyputhtekettleon Wed 01-Jun-16 21:32:18

Two jabs. About £125 in total. Did my two little ones and there were zero side effects. Will get my latest baby vaccinated too probably but I think they won't do it before age 1.

DocMcFanjo Wed 01-Jun-16 21:33:28

Did it here too. I think it was expensive as they go. I have a figure of €140 in my head for the two.

No ill effects at all for DD apart from tears and me feeling like a big meanie for giving her two extra vaccines but that's no dice really when the alternative is a miserable preventable disease that can turn really nasty.

We'll be going for it again with DC2.

And FWIW I'm a HCP myself and spoke to colleagues plus did a lot of research of my own on it.

WalkingZed Wed 01-Jun-16 21:34:15

No side affects
Best decision ever

DocMcFanjo Wed 01-Jun-16 21:35:08

Also we did the shortest interval between the two doses which I think was 4 weeks IIRC, so at least it was over and done with relatively quickly.

Pookythebear Wed 01-Jun-16 21:36:29

Can I ask how you figured out where to get it done? Have asked my own GP but got a shrug and that they wouldn't buy it in to do it there hmm. I'm in the Cambridge area. Sounds a great thing to me.

Comedyusername Wed 01-Jun-16 21:46:34

I got my son vaccinated and he had no side effects. The local travel clinic does it and it's £70 a dose. You need 2 doses for immunity. So far (2 years later) he hasn't caught it.
I did some research online and talked it through with the clinic. It's part of the childhood vaccination schedule in the US and Germany so I was happy to go ahead.

BibbidiBobbidi Thu 02-Jun-16 01:08:44

That's great thank you,
She's got her other vaccinations tomorrow so I shall ask about it then smile

Canyoudomegreaterharm Sat 04-Jun-16 13:39:08

Pooky there is a travel clinic in Cambridge that does it. Google travel clinics and they do it.

I didn't go there but another one local to me.

Canyoudomegreaterharm Sat 04-Jun-16 13:40:33

My DD got a temp after hers but DS was OK, they are having second one this week, 6 weeks in between. Cost £126 for two vaccine course.

PenguinsAreAce Sat 04-Jun-16 13:48:56

They have to be 12 months, then two doses. I think ours were about £130 in total. Much cheaper than the Men B!

Very good idea.

PenguinsAreAce Sat 04-Jun-16 13:51:34

Here might also be a good place to mention that if they do get chicken pox, it's best to avoid ibuprofen, as this can cause bad reactions. NHS info here. I don't think this gets talked about much.

hugsarealwaysneededhere1 Sat 04-Jun-16 20:25:55

We too had our DSs vaccinated. I had read they may need a booster at 18. It is given from 12 months and our local private GP did it.
I'd be very keen on the meningitis vaccine but it's still out of stock.

PenguinsAreAce Sat 04-Jun-16 20:50:35

MASTA have Men B vaccine

BibbidiBobbidi Sat 04-Jun-16 21:41:19

That's lovely ladies.

We will definitely be getting it done, my baby cousin has brain damage caused by chicken pox and I have an illness caused by it too. It's very personal and important to me that she's vaccinated against it.

Are all babies given the meningitis vaccine?

xx

2010sll Tue 07-Jun-16 00:36:31

My daughter has been vaccinated. 2 doses at least 4 weeks apart required for best immune response. At this moment in time, no further doses are required. Should that change, your clinic should contact you at your last known address. My doctor (I went private) thought it was highly unlikely a 3rd dose would be required.

Quodlibet Tue 07-Jun-16 00:48:04

We vaccinated our daughter, and unfortunately she was (we think) one of the small number who did have side effects. She came up in a horrible rash 2 days after the second dose which led to a spell in A and E/overnight in hospital. In actual fact the rash itself wasn't too awful as it responded to antihistamines and no long term harm, but the hospital stay was alarming as they weren't sure what was wrong and had to rule out meningitis and sepsis.

minipie Tue 07-Jun-16 16:31:02

Oh Quod how scary. Glad she is ok.

We have had DD1 vaccinated, DD2 has had the first dose and is awaiting the second. No side effects for either.

I googled "private vaccine <my area>" to find clinics that offered it locally. If you can find a private travel clinic or private GP near you they usually offer it.

Regarding meningitis - all babies are vaccinated against one type of meningitis (Men C I think?). However only babies born after 1 May 2015 are being vaccinated on the NHS against Meningitis B. So if your baby was born before that he/she will not have had it and you'd have to go private. (there is a shortage but it is easing I believe).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now