Positive ending for comfort blanket ideas please!

(14 Posts)
Claraoswald36 Mon 30-May-16 12:42:10

Dd1 is 6.5. She has used muslin squares as comforters all her life. They almost went when she was 2 but me having dd2 caused a regression I didn't interfere with because that was a lot for her to take on. Around that time I dyed them all bright pink as the greying white looked a bit scruffy. She was highly impressed.
Anyway I decided they weren't going to school and she didn't really argue. Foundation teacher very supportive and that was that.
About a year ago I stopped letting her take them out of the house at all - again no real objection.
This week we are on holiday at the caravan. She has managed 3 nights without them and I want to push on for the complete week. She has enquired only once so isn't struggling. When weight home I think she will remember about them out of habit.
I want to encourage her to ditch them altogether now in the kindest way possible. Dp suggests a reward chart but I think that attaches shame to a comfort item so I'm not sure about that. Dd2 never attached to a comfort toy so dd1 has nothing to be envious of.
I just think she doesn't need them anymore - she isn't an anxious kid and is generally very happy and confident.
Sorry for mammoth post!!

situatedknowledge Mon 30-May-16 12:46:12

Whilst I completely understand why you'd want her to not have them out of the house, I can't see why there should be a problem with her having it in her own bed? Even if she only has it once a month, or once a week, why do you see it as a problem that needs fixed? You say she is happy and confident, maybe the blankie is part of the reason why!

LifeIsGoodish Mon 30-May-16 12:49:20

If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

My 15yo ds still sleeps with his cuddly under his head, and will give it a stroke as he walk past. He stopped taking it on trips with him when he was 14. He is a confident, successful boy.

Writerwannabe83 Mon 30-May-16 19:49:10

Why can't she have it?

I'm 32 and still have my comfort blanket from when I was a young girl, I still can't sleep without it grin

I don't understand what harm it is doing her?

suspiciousofgoldfish Tue 31-May-16 01:35:33

Yep I kept my disgusting, knotted ball of rags until I was about 21 confused.

Positives - I was reluctant to bring boys into bedroom as a teenager.

OfficiallyUnofficial Tue 31-May-16 01:38:14

All three of mine (oldest 5) have comforters, oldest only in bed. I honestly have no idea why you would remove them??!!! confused

Just leave her alone.

OfficiallyUnofficial Tue 31-May-16 01:38:32

Sorry oldest is 6!

VioletBam Tue 31-May-16 01:39:46

I am also confused as to why you're taking them from her. She loves them, she's 6. Leave her be!

I would consider incorporating one of them into a nice patchwork blanket or maybe stitching one to a bear as a cloak so she can have that.

nudeynuderson Tue 31-May-16 01:44:46

Would you feel the need to take it away if it was a comforting teddy bear? Whilst I had a blanky (muslin square) my sister had a teddy bear, my parents would never have taken her teddy away but tried to make me give up my blanky. I still have a scarf I sleep with. Who is it harming?

Claraoswald36 Tue 31-May-16 09:20:01

You're right I wouldn't remove a teddy but if she had a dummy it would be long gone at 6!

Writerwannabe83 Tue 31-May-16 09:42:48

A dummy affects teeth and speech though which is why a lot of parents remove it I imagine?

I doubt a blanket has too many health risks grin

iMatter Tue 31-May-16 09:46:20

I still had my teddy until ds1 was born 11 years ago and I gave it to him when he went into his own room. Ds2 now has it in his bed.

I think blankets and teddies are similar - no harm in them at all.

JeffreySadsacIsUnwell Tue 31-May-16 09:55:54

What's the problem? confused

My parents bought me a replacement comfort blanket when I was around 6 or 7... It had many, many uses. Tent, blanket for dolls, dressing-up skirt - but most importantly, it was mine, and my parents would never take it away from me (other toys may have been confiscated from time to time as punishment!) and wouldn't let my siblings take or play with it.

My 6yo DD has a couple of muslin squares (and an awful lot of soft toys); I wouldn't dream of taking them from her. At some point she won't want them any more.

Not sure why you're so keen for her to 'grow up' so fast, she's only 6! smile

Stylingwax Tue 31-May-16 09:59:43

I think if she doesn't need them she'll drop them anyway. But I don't see the issue with letting her keep them? I'm 32 and managed to get mine out of the bed about ten years ago but know exactly where it is and am currently encouraging DD 4 months to have one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now