Warning about childrens centre

(10 Posts)
Jelleymummy Fri 27-May-16 18:56:33

I wanted to let everyone know about the bad experience I had at our local children's centre. We went to one of their play sessions to find that they had replaced the play sand in the sandpit with compost. They were actively encouraging the children to play and roll around in it, but did not provide any gloves, aprons or encourage them to wash their hands at all. Some children were eating in it. Compost is not the same as soil, it is a bio hazard and carries legionella, ecoli and a whole host of other nasties. The RHS recommends that it should be used for gardening purposes only, with gloves, for short periods of time and to thoroughly wash hands after use. It is not meant for children to play in. I want to let everyone know as I wouldn't want anyone's children getting sick because of the children's centre's negligence.

Fairylea Fri 27-May-16 19:01:24

Surely this isn't about children's centres in general though, just that particular one?

BombadierFritz Fri 27-May-16 19:02:35

What did the childrens centre say?

Newes Fri 27-May-16 19:03:45

That sounds odd. Are you sure it wasn't just bark chippings?

plimsolls Fri 27-May-16 19:04:47

You'd be better off just talking to the actual children's centre where this happened though, wouldn't you?

Children's Centres are ace.

Quiero Fri 27-May-16 19:05:06

How did the children's centre respond when you told them this?

LittleNelle Fri 27-May-16 19:05:13

No point telling randoms on the internet, surely you should have spoken to the staff running the session?

Bishybishybarnabee Fri 27-May-16 19:10:48

More a warning about the use of compost (which is useful as I wasn't aware/hasn't really thought about it) then Children's Centres as presumably this isn't some mass policy. Not great, but presumably they weren't aware, did you tell them?

luckiestgirl Fri 27-May-16 19:22:15

They must have thought it was soil. Playing with soil sounds a great thing to do at a children's centre. I love it when they give the DC a chance to get messy as it means I don't really have to do it at home.

Jelleymummy Fri 27-May-16 20:32:02

It is one in the Gloucestershire area. I have spoken to the children's centre who tried to cover their bums and said they were quite happy to use compost. I don't know if it's their policy countrywide or not.
Littlenelle my intention is not to tell 'randoms' only trying to do the right thing and warn other mums to be vigilant incase the same thing happened in their children's centres.
The HSE are now looking into it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now