is this acceptable behaviour for an after school club???

(5 Posts)
mothermother Fri 27-May-16 09:55:40

my daughter started going to a circus club two weeks ago,it was recommended by a friend because they run an after school club at her childs school. we went first week and my daughter loved it, she is 8. it's two hours long which i thought was odd and very cheap but they say they do it for the love of community and what not so it didn't bother me at all.plusyou can pop in any time and take them out or bring them late etc ..

this week i left my daughter at 7.30 and they told me to come in at 8.55 i felt it was too much for her so went at 8.30 and i walk into the room with a 60+ year old man who runs it laying on the floor on his back with my daughter laying on top of him facing him and holding hands .. with another approx. 8-9 year old filming them on a mobile phone.
in a split second i thought it might be a circus stunt or something but it went on for about 7-8 seconds and it just felt too long. the other man who runs it just stood there staring at them, they were on the stage behind some benches but they could be seen from the hall and by other so not really 'hiding' but still.

we were never asked for filming/picture permissions and as they run after school clubs they should know the drill by now.

i have mentioned to a friend who recommended it and she questioned her daughter and as it turns out he filmed her as well, apprently for a circus convention?! they have a small fb page with about 18 likes and no website etc where they would be posting videos or pictures so really it's just for them.

i asked my daughter whos phone it was as maybe that little girls was using her phone for herself but she said he wanted to 'see what it looks like from behind' and used his phone.

my daughter is very upset because she loves it but she will not be going.

am i overreacting? i don't want to cause any problems to them if it's all innocent but it just feels wrong? also, as it turns out only one of the guys from the circus club does school after school atuff but with someone else, in the normal club there is a random guy which means he might not be crb checked? even though that doesn't have to mean anything really ..

CloneMeNow Fri 27-May-16 09:58:07

Report it to the police.

ParadiseCity Fri 27-May-16 10:00:48

Of course it is not acceptable, no one here is going to say 'this is fine and my child does xyz at their club'.

mothermother Fri 27-May-16 10:06:45

thank you for replying.

my friend spoke to the head teacher and they will bring up their concerns with them.

i feel sick to my stomach thinking about it.

they have been doing it for a very long time, so my other worry is if it's innocent and what it could do them because they genuinley seem like such nice guys .. then again, they mostly do

Imnotagilmoregirl Fri 27-May-16 14:15:52

Glad you've mentioned it to the head. I would expect it to be fully investigated, if you get the feeling it isn't, I'd go to the police.

Well done for trusting your gut!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now