Should I be helping Ds walk? 10months

(15 Posts)
Nottalotta Sun 22-May-16 12:53:36

He wants to walk everywhere, bit can't walk. He wants to hold onto my hands while he walks along in front of me. I'm not sure if it's a good thing to do or not? He can get himself to standing, and is 'cruising' round his cot holding onto the bars.

I'm sure I read something to say that 'walking' like this isn't a good thing.

Madlizzy Sun 22-May-16 12:55:15

It's how they learn to walk. He wouldn't be doing it if he wasn't ready to, completely normal stage of development.

GoldPlatedBacon Sun 22-May-16 13:00:34

I do it occasionally with my 10 month old. I prefer her cruising but sometimes just having a wonder cheers her up so I do it. She can't walk longer than2/3 minutes tops.

GoldPlatedBacon Sun 22-May-16 13:01:43

I also have the vtech Walker. She's just started pulling herself up on that and pushing it slightly. Could you get something like that?

Nottalotta Sun 22-May-16 13:17:09

We've got the v tech Walker but it scoots along our tiles a bit too quickly. Thanks, just wanted to make sure I wasn't damaging his legs/feet or something!

BotBotticelli Sun 22-May-16 20:38:36

My 9 month old has been doing this for 2 months already! It is killing my fucking back! He bloody loves it and would do it 12 hours per day given half the chance (I strap him in the buggy and go for a nice walk st least twice a day just to give me back a rest. And I am drinking a lot f wine in the evenings...!).

No harm in it at all f you can bear it!

Nottalotta Sun 22-May-16 20:57:52

Blimey bot he started early! I dont think we'll be doing it for two months hopes as he's already started letting go and trying to go it alone. He went from refusing to sit up, to sitting himself up to standing and trying to walk in about 10 days.

elQuintoConyo Sun 22-May-16 21:15:06

I was a lazy mother and wouldn't hold hands to try to get ds to walk. He walked at 8 months 3 weeks, proper unaided across-the-room steps (peadiatrician refused to believe us until he saw it himself hmm).

A not so stealthy stealth boast, but just to highlight he'll get there without you breaking your back.

Dixiechick17 Sun 22-May-16 21:19:45

We did a mixture of hand holding walking and letting her cruise. We bought those foam mats and put them in part of our room which is divided by an opened out playpen, my point... she can use walker on the part of the floor with the foam mats instead of on the laminate where it moved fast. She took her first steps at 10 1/2 months and has slowly started to walk this week, she'll be on in ten days, we have taken it slow and done things when we feel she is ready smile

Caterina99 Mon 23-May-16 00:44:55

I think its a normal part of learning to walk. My DS 11 months did this for a few weeks and now is walking everywhere and definitely does not want to hold anyone's hand anymore. The worst part is it hurts your back!

justabigdisco Mon 23-May-16 00:56:19

It's absolutely not necessary for them to learn to walk. I never did it once with mine.

Nottalotta Mon 23-May-16 07:35:57

Isn't me that wants to do it, it's him. Now he knows he can, it is ALL he want to do. I don't mind when he walks as long as he does at some point. wink

I've put the travel cot up downstairs and he is amusing himself standing up and cruising round that

squizita Mon 23-May-16 20:05:34

They can learn by cruising. Teaching them makes not one jot of difference imo. Mine only cruised from 10 months to 15 months then went to confident outdoor walking in a fortnight. So my efforts were irrelevant grin but equally did no harm.

Rinceoir Mon 23-May-16 21:53:05

I wouldn't worry about teaching him, but it's not doing any harm! My DD sounds like squizita's- she cruised from 8-14 months, then one day stood up (outdoors in the park!), picked up my handbag and ran with it.

Kit2015 Tue 24-May-16 17:18:24

My 14 month old started doing this at 7 months. My back is now really bad (she's still not walking idependatly, though has taken 4 steps this morning) So just wanted to say be careful that you don't hurt yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now