a CBeebies afternoon - terrible mother?!

(19 Posts)
oddsockfairy Fri 20-May-16 16:39:59

I confess. Since getting home from a morning out I have had CBeebies on literally all afternoon and DD has been playing quietly by herself and watching it while I have been resting on the sofa (am 12 weeks preggers) I feel terrible and like the laziest mother in the world. Actually I feel terrible for not feeling more terrible about it.
Just seeking some reassurance that I'm not the worst mother in the world for not doing fun wholesome stuff and everyone does this at some point?!? blush

Blueredballoon Fri 20-May-16 16:44:00

Well we have done the same! I'm ill and my baby is ill, so it's been a CBeebies afternoon for my 2 year old too. Some days are just like that!

StinkyMcgrinky Fri 20-May-16 16:44:38

Pfffft definitely not!!

Currently 31 weeks and me and DS have been watching CBeebies all afternoon too. I can't see any signs of brain damage so think we'll be OK wink

I get that some people are against the TV but I personally am not super mum and some days I just don't have the energy for arts and crafts, baking, walking to the park. On those days cuddles infront of the TV will be fine

StinkyMcgrinky Fri 20-May-16 16:45:36

Oh and we're having sausages for tea!

AStreetcarNamedBob Fri 20-May-16 16:46:56

Some afternoons are like that. My 2&4 year old have had the tv on since 3:30pm and I'm feeding 8 week old.

pocketsized Fri 20-May-16 16:51:59

Are you me? Ive been feeling guilty That DD gas been pottering round the lounge occupying herself while I lie on the sofa feeling sorry for myself. She however seems perfectly content smile

Mrsfancyfanjango Fri 20-May-16 16:55:34

Definitely not! My 3 and 2 year old have had a Nick Jr. Day and I'm not even pregnant as an excuse! Although I do have a baby.. Does that count as a reason? grin
Some days we all just need a break

SingingSands Fri 20-May-16 16:55:45

Sounds like a lovely relaxing afternoon for you both. smile

Cloudybutwarm Fri 20-May-16 16:58:18

I am not pregnant and don't have a newborn but the 4 and 1 year old frequently have tv days or part tv days. I imagine this will continue until the 1 year old manages to sleep past 5am hmm

And we are having sausages for tea too!

trilbydoll Fri 20-May-16 17:02:15

Yep, have an afternoon like that about once a fortnight! Only so dd2 can nap, honest wink

oddsockfairy Fri 20-May-16 17:08:22

Ah thanks everyone. DD is 22 months so v rare that she will actually play ball and entertain herself. Shamelessly taking full advantage grin Though of course when DH gets home we will have had a very fun and tiring day halo

SleeplessRageMonster Fri 20-May-16 18:52:02

Hahaha, no!!! Don't worry about it, we do what we can to survive ;)

MrsA2 Fri 20-May-16 21:23:05

I'm really not a fan of kids watching TV normally but you're pregnant and shattered so, when you need to, anything that gets you through the day goes...!

howiloveanicecupoftea Fri 20-May-16 21:28:57

Why is everyone so against kids watching CBeebies, it's aimed at kids to educate and entertain them? I don't get the whole shame in it.

MyBreadIsEggy Fri 20-May-16 21:32:31

No shame in that!
We have afternoons like that more often than I care to admit blush

WakeUpFast Fri 20-May-16 21:38:04

Threads like this make me feelconfused. We have a lot of afternoons like this (minus me resting though as I use that time to do tidying up). It's normal for us. I couldn't do social stuff every single day with my 2 and 3 year old. They get that from nursery. We potter around and have lovely conversations and they tune in and out of the TV.

TheABC Fri 20-May-16 22:46:39

Can I join you on the sofa, OP? I gave birth this week and I plan to use cbeebies as part of my toddler distraction methods whilst feeding the baby.

Daisyandbabies Sat 21-May-16 01:04:16

I have kids tv on in the background the whole time we are home. They watch it if they want but most of the time play and it's just on.
I don't see the harm in it, we are out a lot of the time (all the time if the weather is decent) and it's not like they sit there with eyes glued to it for hours. I've yet to see a mother of more than one child who entertains their kids continuously

Shesinfashion Sat 21-May-16 01:28:06

Oh don't be silly. We had CBeebies or something similar on almost all day every day. My kids played, watched a bit, toddled around. They are much older now and it hasn't done them any harm at all. A lot of the programmes are educational. Now if you had Jeremy Kyle on it'd be a bit more shit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now