Struggling with my two year old today.,

(40 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Wed 18-May-16 11:47:02

I'm so stressed, my two year old is being a f**king nightmare today and I'm losing the plot.

He's been awake for 5 hours and for three of them (on and off) he has just grizzled, screamed, yelled and cried because he isn't getting his own way. As well as all his screaming he is hitting, pushing and throwing and it's simply a result of not getting what he wants. I'm seriously going out my mind.

His main reasons for tantrumming this morning are because he's not allowed chocolate biscuits for breakfast, he's not allowed to play with batteries, he's not allowed to mess around with bathroom taps and he's not allowed to walk on the kitchen worktops.

I don't know where my gorgeous boy had gone but the horror that is in his place is mentally draining me.

Please tell me I'm not the only one to have to deal with this. I can't cope with this for another 8 hours until bedtime sad

minipie Wed 18-May-16 12:03:26

You're not alone. Some days two year olds are just like that <sigh>

He may be completely different this afternoon (does he nap?)

icklekid Wed 18-May-16 12:12:33

Your not alone, my nearly 2 year old has been known to tantrum for exactly the same reasons! I suggest throwing clothes on both of you and getting outside. A distraction is required. Come home for lunch/nap. If he doesn't have a nap then chill out in front of TV. Most importantly you are not alone!

howiloveanicecupoftea Wed 18-May-16 13:48:37

Yep I'm having lots of days like that too...it's tough, I look forward to his bedtime and then pot myself a wine! :-) xx

Doje Wed 18-May-16 13:55:01

We have them too!!

Where are you with naps? I was reducing my DS' naps as he wasn't going to sleep at night, but it just made him grumpy and STILL didn't go to sleep at night properly. I pulled his naps earlier, but gave him as much time as he needed and his mood has vastly improved.

Also, could he be a bit under the weather? Generally, if he's normally a happy fella and this is out of the ordinary for him then could Calpol help?

Trinpy Wed 18-May-16 14:03:32

Yes I would think tired or ill ifor that's not usual behaviour for him. My 2yr old only ever tantrums when he's tired. I put him down for a nap or sit quietly with him until he's back to normal.

But yes it's so hard, isn't it? Yesterday I got bitten by my own feral toddler sad.

StarUtopia Wed 18-May-16 14:05:20

Sounds about right.

I have a 3 yr old to contend with as well. Consider yourself lucky! grin

Tangoandcreditcards Wed 18-May-16 14:06:17

Oh me too!

He just cried for 20 mins at me because I gave him tinned peaches instead of "fruit". (Neither satsumas nor bananas qualified either)

I think he might be teething (still owes me 4 molars), though if he is, it's the sort of dental pain that magically disappears when fucking Paw Patrol is on the telly... I'm liberally administering.

Writerwannabe83 Wed 18-May-16 14:10:21

At 11.30 I had put him in his cot for an early nap thinking it may be tiredness that was making him act like this (he normally naps at 1.30pm) but he just screamed and yelled in his cot. After 15 minutes I gave up, took him back out of his cot and we lay down on my bed as I thought I'd see if a breast feed would calm him down. Next thing I know it's 2pm because we'd both fallen asleep!

We got, I silently prayed he'd be in a better mood but within 10 minutes he was yelling again because I wouldn't let him play with my make-up.

We are now downstairs watch Peppa Pig and he's just had some Ibuprofen just to see if has any effect - maybe he is under the weather, I don't know.

He hasn't been dressed all day because going near him with clothes just triggers off another tantrum - he's just wandering around in his nappy blush

Mishaps Wed 18-May-16 14:10:32

Sit him in front of the TV - I know we don't like to do that for too long, but you need to stay sane. Good luck - we've all been there - it will pass.

Writerwannabe83 Wed 18-May-16 14:11:53

I'm so relieved that I'm not alone!

qazxc Wed 18-May-16 14:18:17

You are not alone. I regularly try to channel my "inner Flop"(from bing) when dealing with dd's more challenging days. Or you could try the mn classic "this too shall pass" .

coffeeandcake14 Wed 18-May-16 14:23:10

I could have written your post today! My normally angelic two year old screamed from about half 10 for no reason (with a ten minute gap while she watched peppa!) wouldn't sleep, wouldn't eat, just screamed. I'm 30 weeks pregnant, shattered and ashamed to say I did loose patience and ended up sobbing myself, torn between desperately wanting to be able to leave her to it but also wanting to cuddle her til she calmed down! She finally went to sleep about one and I really need to wake her now or she'll never sleep tonight..... Got the peppa DVD ready! X

wildlingtribe Wed 18-May-16 15:03:08

We have this too sometimes, mostly the past three days really! shock

Writerwannabe83 Wed 18-May-16 15:13:20

We are currently TTC DC2 and with days like this I think I must be mad sad

BentleyBelly Wed 18-May-16 15:20:51

My nearly 3 year old was the same yesterday, I opened a bottle of wine at 5.30! Write this day off and start again tomorrow.

Writerwannabe83 Wed 18-May-16 15:26:09

He's in nursery for 6 hours tomorrow morning and I'm so looking forward to the peace.

I miss him when he's at nursery but it's so nice not having to deal with tantrums!!

Tangoandcreditcards Wed 18-May-16 17:00:34

I already have DC2 writer and days like this are no fun but I know they can be lovely really.

DC2 just puked his feed all over me
DC1 just BIT me

Tomorrow is another day. wine

Writerwannabe83 Wed 18-May-16 18:51:43

I'm still being run into the ground.

We went to visit my sister and her 2 children this afternoon so DS could burn some energy with them but if anything he's more hyper now.

He's currently climbing into the washing machine.

And he's just announced he's done a "big poo" confused

Tangoandcreditcards Wed 18-May-16 19:28:49

Well at least if he's in the washing machine he's easy to clean...

Hang in there wine

Writerwannabe83 Wed 18-May-16 19:37:06

grin grin grin

After having to watch Pixel's Cars for what must be the 100th time now I have finally got him into the bath and things are calmer. I tend to just leave him to his own devices in the bath as it makes for a peaceful wind down session for him. I just sit on the floor and MN whilst he chats away to his bath toys smile

Bedtime is looming and then it's a cup of tea and catching up with last night's 'Holby City' and 'In The Club'.

Can't wait!!

Writerwannabe83 Wed 18-May-16 19:38:44

The little Sod has just filled an empty bubble bath container (a big one) with water and then tipped it all over the side of the bath. The floor is absolutely soaked!

ipswichwitch Wed 18-May-16 19:44:42

My 2yo bit me yesterday for daring to attempt to get ready for work after he had told me in no uncertain terms to "go downstairs now!"

He had a tantrum this morning because I gave him WHAT HE ASKED FOR for breakfast. Then again tonight when he asked for cheese and crackers and, shock horror, I dared present him with that exact snack hmm

He can be utterly adorable one minute, then like a mini dictator the next. He just has no control over his emotions and is stubborn to boot. If it makes you feel better, DS1 was never like this! (He just now asks "why?!" every 30seconds <sob!>)

ipswichwitch Wed 18-May-16 19:45:58

Oh, and we have a lot of Gigglebiz and Mr Tumble on our planner, so when a tantrum is looming I just shove that on and hope to head it off at the pass!

MrsA2 Wed 18-May-16 19:47:35

Mine was at nursery today so only home from 5.15 but spent the first 45 minutes hysterical, often over nothing at all (that I could work out!) but also because she couldn't run around with a biro and couldn't eat three bananas. It's tough for them too though, I can see mine struggling with the big emotions and losing all her words as she gets more and more stressed out. Toddler bedtime = wine time. wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now