Anyone Else Struggling with "threenager"?

(7 Posts)
RedCrab Tue 17-May-16 18:50:06

Ugh, hating parenting right now. My sweet chilled out little boy is just a different child since he turned three. Well it took a few months and he he's now just over three and a half but the difference is crazy. High, emotions all the time, difficult, non compliant, fussy about food, I find myself repeating things over and over and over again and nagging and - ugh, it's just so shit.

I know this is all normal but I feel like I've turned into a horrible parent in response. He's just so difficult to be around. I hate how I'm parenting - no patience because I'm so sick of the fuckery, feel like I'm so harsh with him, I'm not the kind gentle parent that I was. Terrible twos was nothing - absolutely nothing. He wasn't terrible at all. Now I'm getting it shockconfused

RedCrab Tue 17-May-16 18:50:49

So many typos too - sorry!

GeoffreysGoat Tue 17-May-16 19:10:02

Yup, same. Started just before his birthday now rising 3 1/2. Constant shouting, bragging, running off, throwing/destroying/breaking stuff.

As my mum keeps reminding me as she pours me a stiff gin "it's only a phase" wine

RedCrab Tue 17-May-16 20:02:12

<clinks gin glass> Amen to that! It's the pits. Why does everyone go on about terrible twos? It was a breeze.

GeoffreysGoat Tue 17-May-16 20:28:22

We seem to have rolled the whole lot into one - tantrums at 2 were sporadic, predictable and easily distracted from. The sheer anguish of the 3yo tantrum is hard to bear :'(

RedCrab Wed 18-May-16 07:39:26

The anguish, yes. I don't know how to deal with him, at all. I want to be gentle and kind and patient but the reality is I'm just nagging and repeating myself, and getting annoyed. We lock horns all the time. It's not how I intended to parent and I am constantly getting my ass handed to me wink

I've ordered Positive Discipline for PreSchoolers but it's taking a very long time to arrive!

GeoffreysGoat Wed 18-May-16 08:01:44

I don't even talk during the storm. Either leave him in his room (safe place) or just sit and hold his hand/cuddle. But even that much attention is too much for mine sometimes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now