tips for tidying up (5,4,2yo)

(15 Posts)
wildlingtribe Tue 17-May-16 14:18:22

Tips please! Within reason of age!

kiki22 Tue 17-May-16 16:08:57

What do you need tips on? Getting the kids to tidy up?

wildlingtribe Wed 18-May-16 16:50:05

They will not do it unless asked (lots of times) I ask them nicely, clear instructions, and trying to encourage through a game sometimes but they look at me like I'm being a moan arse.

Then I have to moan.

I'm fed up of being a moan arse.

The two year old is still small and so are the others but the five and four year olds should know a little bit by now.

All I get is rolled eyes.

wildlingtribe Thu 19-May-16 13:14:04

?

luckiestgirl Thu 19-May-16 13:22:41

With my two year old, I just don't allow another toy coming out until this toy is cleared away first. It only works with the toys that are kept away in baskets though obviously, eg Happyland has to be tidied up before we get out the blocks. That's just the rule and its habit for him now so he doesn't object.

luckiestgirl Thu 19-May-16 13:23:24

Or just lower your standards and have one big tidy up once a week?

kiki22 Thu 19-May-16 16:06:50

I would not be putting up with eye rolls when asked to tidy up not on at all. Your not their cleaner its not up to you to tidy up. I find 10 mins and its all going in the bin works also if you don't want to help me by cleaning I wont be helping you by providing your dinner.

Start now tidying up is not a punishment its a part of every day life like getting dresses and eating it needs to be done.

KatyN Thu 19-May-16 18:22:58

Are the older two at school or nursery?? I found out that at nursery they shake a tambourine and shout tidy up time. Worked a treat with my son

wildlingtribe Fri 20-May-16 10:25:03

Is there anyway without using such bossy terms? I do the "right ten mins or it's going in the bin" but they know it's a dead threat now as they've seen the toy back. Over time...

But also it wears me down more than anything constantly saying all these things. In the shitty tone too

wildlingtribe Fri 20-May-16 10:25:34

They are at school and nursery. But when I've tried things they do, doesn't work! confused

Cakescakescakes Fri 20-May-16 10:29:45

My mum actually threw some of my toys away in the bin. I never saw them again!

Only issue threats if you are prepared to carry them through otherwise they'll know they don't have to listen to you. I agree best way is to not allow toys out until something else has been put away. We have a small living room some only keep a few toys in there at a time. And fiddly toys eg Lego need to be played with sitting at the table so my toddler can't rampage through it all. It's a never ending battle though!

ElectroStallion Fri 20-May-16 10:30:27

It's trite, but make it a game, or a race. Can 5yo get the cars away before 4yo gets the books off the floor, etc etc
W ho can pick up the most blocks? (Inc mummy)
That kind of thing.
Beyond that, the only solution is a room dedicated to toys, that you shut the door on and do not look at 99% of the time!

ElectroStallion Fri 20-May-16 10:31:37

Make sure they can reach the places they're supposed to put things btw.
Pictures stuck on the box of what is supposed to be in there may help too.

FreeButtonBee Fri 20-May-16 10:59:15

Put 50% of the toys out of their reach. Preferably in the garage or somethjng.

Each toy has a dedicated box

Ask them to tidy before they get to watch tv/eat dinner/something else that they want to do.

Help them. So ask one to tidy the Lego. Another cars. I find if I group it together for them then it's easier to ge them to put t in the box.

Mainly play the long game. Also be consistent. Showing them how to do it, showing them that you have to tidy too, firemen tidy their engines after a fire etc etc.

Mini today's throughout the day are also good. So not so much to tidy.

Fwiw j have 3yo twins and a 9mo (who mainly makes a mess) and they can make a good stab at it. But we had lots of tantrums getting them started.

Shortninbread Fri 20-May-16 22:22:45

I say no stories at bed-time or no tv tomorrow if you don't tidy room. I don't know if it's PC parenting, but it works. Agree that it's essential to follow through with it, otherwise it gets worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now