Techniques to get a six year old to talk to me about her problems

(11 Posts)
thetoothfairywhoforgot Sun 15-May-16 01:28:21

I have a 6 year old who is generally happy and has a few good friends. This week she has been upset twice after a new girl has joined her social group. I don't really know what has happened, other than afterschool club telling me the new girl was teasing her.

I know she is going to have to learn to deal with group dynamics and friendship problems. My real worry is that she won't talk about what has happened or anything that has upset her. She just repeats 'I don't want to talk about it'. I really want her to be able to tell me what the problem is so I can help her come up with strategies.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to talk to me? I've tried discussing stuff in the car and in the bath.

TIA.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sun 15-May-16 02:19:22

Tell her it's ok if she doesn't want to talk about it. Some people don't tell others their problems. Maybe she's afraid you'll try to fix it too.

Most parents talk too much, ask too many questions. If I ask my dcs how their day was, I get "fine" as an answer. If I say nothing or even just "I missed you both today", I get chapter and verse of the whole day, down to who said what in which tone of voice. Work in making your relationship closer, remove the pressure on her telling you and it will come naturally when she's ready.

If you don't want to try this, you could also do some drawing and ask her to draw how she feels. This is a much more indirect way of getting her to express what is troubling her

jessplussomeonenew Sun 15-May-16 08:18:27

Try "how to talk so children will listen..." lots of suggestions there.

thetoothfairywhoforgot Mon 16-May-16 09:21:37

Thanks, I'll check out that book. And try leaving her some more space.

Misty9 Mon 16-May-16 23:30:29

I must go to sleep now but try reading the story book huge bag of worries and see if it opens up talking about her worries.

Misty9 Mon 16-May-16 23:34:32

And when she says 'I don't want to talk about it' it's hard but you need to respect that but you can also let her know you're there if she needs you to listen. Or techniques like "I wonder if you're feeling x because of y" might get a response. Only you know if it's worth pushing it.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Mon 16-May-16 23:39:11

I was going to recommend there same book, it's very a bit cringey in places for my taste but the underlying ideas are brilliant

thetoothfairywhoforgot Mon 16-May-16 23:51:56

Thanks Misty. I've just downloaded that book and will give it a go tonight.

I think she has hit a difficult age where the girls at school are becoming a bit political. We had a playdate last night and the other child said "Come here now or I won't be your friend anymore!" I was less than impressed with that!

m0therofdragons Mon 16-May-16 23:59:32

I ask my dc to tell me 3 things about their day (2 good and 1 bad). It seems to focus their minds more than a simple how was school?
I also find bedtime is a time for talking and it all pours out. Reading thread for more tips though.

BertieBotts Tue 17-May-16 00:03:29

I saw this the other day and thought it was good.
www.yummymummyclub.ca/blogs/andrea-nair-button-pushing/20130818/filling-your-childs-attachment-tank?s=bp

I agree that book is excellent and also the suggestion about asking her for 2 good, 1 bad thing about the day. We had an ongoing game for ages which was "My happiest moment of the day was... my saddest moment... my funniest moment..." etc. It got a bit silly with too many different types of day added so it petered out but I think I might reinstate it as it was good.

Misty9 Tue 17-May-16 23:51:36

Hope it helps. Just to clarify, I think the book others are agreeing with is "how to talk so kids will listen..." Which I also agree is very good. Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now