Has anyone had their child vaccinated at Dr Richard Halvorsen's clinic?

(7 Posts)
bunny85 Fri 06-May-16 09:54:53

Just that really! We've got an appointment for consultation booked, and I'm after some feedback! Many thanks in advance.

QueenJuggler Fri 06-May-16 10:26:45

No - but curious as to why you would use him. I have a friend who used him because her child was born with complex medical needs that made a standard NHS vaccine schedule a bit risky, but otherwise I don't get why you would pay for what you can get for free on the NHS.

bunny85 Fri 06-May-16 10:47:40

Because 1) not everything he's using is available on NHS and 2) I'm going to have a consultation first. I want to get his advice on few things, after which I might go NHS for certain vaccines.

Was your friend happy with his vaccines and consultations?

QueenJuggler Fri 06-May-16 13:11:05

Not massively, AFAIK. She found him a bit intransigent.

Have you spoken to your GP about non-NHS vaccines and advice? My NHS GP was more than happy to a) have a chat with me about all kinds of vaccine questions (allergy concerns being the issue) and b) administer non-NHS vaccines in a private appointment.

lucy101101 Fri 06-May-16 13:21:23

Hi there, both my children have had a mix of vaccinations with Dr Halvorsen and some with the NHS. He does have an alternative NHS schedule in his book (well it was in the edition I read) if that is of interest. I have found his advice very useful and am happy with the schedule we followed. My children also have had the Men B and one has had the Chickenpox vaccine (after my first DC was very ill with it) so I am not anti-vac.

bunny85 Sat 07-May-16 09:39:30

Queen, you are actually the second person who advised me to ask my Gp about non NHS vaccines. I think what I'll do is I'll go have a consultation with Dr Halvorsen and then try and do as much with my GP as possible. When you say your GP was happy to do it privately, I take it you had to pay for vaccines? Does it still work out cheaper than in Dr Halvorsen's clinic?
Thanks for the useful info!

Lucy, glad you had a good experience with him. I read his book too (the latest edition) and he sounds like a very knowledgeable dr that one could trust.

CountessOfStrathearn Sat 07-May-16 10:34:39

My GP won't do NHS vaccines but I've had the Men B and chicken pox vaccines done for the children at a local travel clinic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now