12 week old lost her appetite

(7 Posts)
PalaceResident Tue 03-May-16 21:41:29

Up until Saturday DD was taking a bottle (she is ff) every three hours with usually 4oz each time, sometimes 5oz.

Thus has significantly reduced. She is otherwise ok though does have a mild cold.

She is taking 1oz or 2oz on some feeds and won't take anymore. We're on feed 5 and she's had; 2oz, 3oz, 3oz, 4oz and 1oz so far. It's nowhere near enough.

I'll call the doctor tomorrow but wondered if anyone had advice or experience

Florentina27 Tue 03-May-16 22:53:57

It is common for them to eat less when ill, I really wouldn't worry, also some babies eat less and sleep more during growth spurts

PalaceResident Wed 04-May-16 01:02:17

Thank you Florentinr

MarthaCliffYouCunt Wed 04-May-16 01:08:31

Is her nose a bit stuffed up? It maybbe she gets fed up trying to feed and breathe at the same time so gives up on feeding.

knittingbee Wed 04-May-16 20:18:36

If she was BF then you wouldn't know how much she was taking - think of it like that. So long as she is producing wet/dirty nappies and is alert and content, try not to worry. Babies' appetites do go up and down, and as PP have said she may be struggling a bit more if she's bunged up.

TheKingSits Wed 04-May-16 20:22:55

My LO is also 12 weeks and although BF I noticed he was taking a lot less for a few days last week. He was also sleeping much more. I kept an eye on his temperature and his nappies to ensure he had plenty of wet and dirty ones. It was just a short phase that passed after a few days so I'm assuming was a growth spurt or something similar. He is completely back to being a milk monster now. I take him to get weighed every fortnight and he is consistently putting on weight so it didn't affect him at all. Hopefully it's just a phase your baby is going through.

PalaceResident Wed 04-May-16 20:27:18

Thank you! She is definitely otherwise ok but perhaps I should start to get her weighed frequently too as that would be a good indicator.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now