4 week old baby potential heart problem

(3 Posts)
typicallyaverage Tue 03-May-16 14:04:52

My DS2 is 4 weeks old, and since around 2 weeks we've been struggling with him. He's been crying for hours (sometimes 2-4 hours at a time), but it's more like screaming as opposed to the normal crying. He has also been struggling to feed and will start to splutter and struggle for breath whilst having his milk, yet he goes for it like mad, so he is obviously hungry.

For the past two weeks I knew something wasn't right. He seems uncomfortable feeding, was still screaming even after getting wind up, becoming overtired from being awake for such long periods and his breathing has been really heavy as though he is struggling.

After a couple of days we went to the GP who prescribed infant gaviscon and said it could be reflux or colic. Since then I've used dr Browns bottles, tried infacol, tried comfort milk, colief, kept him upright after feeds etc and nothing worked. He was still screaming for hours on end as though he was in pain, looked pale and as though he was struggling to breathe. I took him to the doctors again, they looked at me as though as I was wasting their time & said try the gaviscon for another week.

A few days later we took him the walk-in centre where I felt like the doctor thought we were wasting his time. He checked him over and brushed it off as nothing. Then yesterday, I was still convinced that something wasn't right. We took him to the emergency doctor, who again said that it was probably colic and I said that I wanted him checked over at the hospital if possible, he was reluctant but eventually agreed.

We arrived at 5pm last night and have been here ever since. DS is on a drip, feeding through a tube and we've found out he has a hole in his heart and a narrow aorta. The hospital knew something wasn't right straight away, and did several tests before concluding that the problem was with his heart. We have been told he's at the top of he list for birmingham children's hospital and that he needs an operation.

I just wanted a rant really. I'm annoyed that this hasn't been picked up on before (the hospital said they should have picked up on it from his breathing and heart rate), and that I've been made to feel like I'm wasting their time and just being told to leave it and get on with it.

Sorry for the rant, I'm tired, worried, I've had no sleep and I just needed to vent a little!

mellowyellow1 Tue 03-May-16 18:09:14

That sounds awfully scary. It is annoying the doctors didn't listen to you and sounds like you knew there was something wrong all along. Thank god you trusted your instincts and took him to hospital. I hope he is okay and rant away you must be worried sick!

Afreshstartplease Tue 03-May-16 18:11:14

Wow op well done you for sticking to your guns!

Shame on those doctors who made you feel like that!

Wishing your boy a smooth and speedy recovery X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now