Bottle feeding after 1?

(22 Posts)
2015mom Sun 01-May-16 09:53:27

Hi did you all wean baby off the bottle when giving milk as soon as they turned one?

Did you give baby milk feeds in a cup after 1?

Did your baby drink milk intake once they were drinking milk from a cup?

Also did u give water in a cup or beaker after 1?

kiki22 Sun 01-May-16 10:25:22

Ds had his bottle with cows milk from 1-2 he didn't have a dummy/teddy/blanket so it was his only comfort I felt he was to small to have nothing to sooth him

waitingforsomething Sun 01-May-16 10:28:17

Yes as soon as Dd was down to milk feeds only morning and evening we switched to a sippy. She was 11 months- it was fine. The earlier you do it the better if they are eating well otherwise they can get quite attached to the bottle and taking it away is harder. She drank a bit less milk but no biggie as she was eating well including lots of dairy. Am about to do the same with DS once he turns 10 months in a few weeks

ProfessorPickles Sun 01-May-16 10:35:29

DS had his last bottle the week after his first birthday, cows milk and in a sippy type cup from then on! Was never a problem

2015mom Sun 01-May-16 10:36:48

Thanks for your comments.

The reason I was asking was because my nieces had bottles up to age of three and once they stopped they stopped drinking milk. But the key is to give other dairy.

My LO is breastfed and occasionally has milk in a bottle. I wanted to breastfeed over a year but thought maybe he could have milk in a bottle after he is 1 but was worried about tooth decay and speech problems if I gave him bottle. He drinks milk from the doidy cup which I may just do after he is one.

And just breast feed in the morning and night.

soundsystem Sun 01-May-16 10:36:52

When DD turned one she was only having bottles morning and before bed. We swapped the morning bottle to a sippy cup of cows milk and have her breakfast earlier and that was fine.

At 14 months we dropped the bedtime bottle and replaced it with a cup of cow's milk and something to eat (banana on toast, a crumpet, that sort of thing).

Her milk intake dropped a bit but not massively. The reason we waited until 14 months rather than 12 for the bedtime bottle was to wait for it to drop off naturally so she wasn't bothered. Totally agree with the PP who said it's easier to do it at that age. If you want until they're older it might be a bit of a battle to take the bottle away!

She had water in a sippy cup anyway before she was one so we just carried on with that.

kiki22 Sun 01-May-16 13:33:19

It was hard to get ds's bottles away tbh though more hard for me than him when I finally got fed up I cut all the teets off the bottles and 2 days later he didn't ask anymore. Kids get used to things quickly its the parent that usually finds it hard not to give in.

ODog Sun 01-May-16 13:39:01

DS has only ever had water and juice in a cup. However, he is loathe to give up his 2 bottles of milk a day and simply won't drink milk unless it's in a bottle. He's nearly 2, but I don't really have an issue with it. His teeth seem fine and it won't be forever.

PamBagnallsGotACollage Sun 01-May-16 13:39:34

My eldest had a bottle until he was 2ish. No problems swapping to a cup. No tooth decay issues as we always brushed his teeth after his bottle. No speech problems either. His speech has always been very clear; clearer than his peers even when having a bottle past one and a dummy until 3. It doesn't always follow that bottles and dummies affect speech/ teeth, although I know it can. We made sure to brush teeth after milk and to remove dummy when speaking.

uhoh2016 Sun 01-May-16 13:46:19

Ds is 14m he has cows milk in a bottle in a morning and at night I'll drop them when he doesn't seem interested in it any more. my older dc stopped wanting a morning bottle at about 18m then the night bottle around 2 ish. Any other drink he has during the day is from a cup.

Tamsynburton1 Sun 01-May-16 14:01:47

I breastfed DD until she was around 1, she decided she wanted to stop, she then had a bottle of cows milk every night until around 2 then just decided she didn't want that either. She was always very independent with what she wanted to do so I just let her take the lead with it.

2015mom Sun 01-May-16 14:05:33

Thanks guys it's great to get an insight of what others did so I can decide what to so myself.

NicknameUsed Sun 01-May-16 14:09:03

Hi did you all wean baby off the bottle when giving milk as soon as they turned one? Yes

Did you give baby milk feeds in a cup after 1? Yes

Did your baby drink milk intake once they were drinking milk from a cup? I don't understand this question

Also did u give water in a cup or beaker after 1? In a sippy cup

I took advice from my sister about removing the bottle. She told me that the longer you leave it the harder it is to switch from a bottle. It worked for her two children and it worked for DD. She didn't seem to notice the difference. All of our children were breastfed for 6 months before having a bottle, although I don't know if this is relevant.

NickyEds Sun 01-May-16 14:18:45

My ds is two and still has a bottle of milk before bed. We tried switching to a cup but he hated it so we switched back but he's down to his last teat and I'm not buying any more. We brush his teeth after and it only takes about 5 minutes to drink it so it won't affect speech.

2015mom Sun 01-May-16 19:27:23

Sorry that question was did your baby's milk intake reduce after changing from bottle to cup

NicknameUsed Sun 01-May-16 19:31:35

No, I don't think so.

polkadotdelight Sun 01-May-16 19:45:38

DS is 19 months and has cows milk in a bottle when he gets up and before bed. His teeth are cleaned after his evening milk. For the rest if the day he drinks from straw cups or our cups/beakers so I'm really not concerned.

WellErrr Sun 01-May-16 19:45:45

Both mine had bottles after weaning from breast at nearly one. They are a comfort and do no harm. DS dropped it at 2 and a half, and DD still has hers at nearly 2.

DS is 3 now and still loves milk but happily drinks it from a cup.

CottonSock Sun 01-May-16 19:48:36

I went straight to sippy cup when I dropped breast feeds. She never did really drink much though and still doesn't at nearly 3. I didn't want to really introduce a bottle at 1 because of teeth (and to be honest washing them etc)

cornishglos Mon 02-May-16 06:58:54

One bottle a day before bed from 1st birthday to 2nd birthday. No issues dropping the breastfeed at 1 or the bottle at 2. Now has a cup of milk at bedtime instead.

Barmaid101 Tue 03-May-16 15:44:20

My lo is 20 mo now and still has a morning and nighttime bottle. We have also just moved so she still has her bottle. She will not often drink milk from anything but a bottle.
However I don't get why it is supposedly bad for the to have bottles. It is drank all in one go and that's that. You don't hear breastfeeding mums being told to stop breastfeeding and to give them breast milk in a cup... What's the difference.
Our aim is 2years when we are going to try with a cup more. Why rush in trying to get them to grow up,

neversleepagain Tue 03-May-16 20:42:40

My twins had water in sippy cups from 6 months. They went to two bottles of milk a day (morning and a bedtime) at 12 months as we swapped to sippy cups for milk at 14 months. Luckily there were no issues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now