Are my children food monsters?

(12 Posts)
Twinmum2016 Sat 30-Apr-16 17:55:33

I have 20 month old twin boys and am curious to know if their daily food intake is normal for this age. As an example today they have each eaten

9oz full fat milk at wake up
Bowl Shreddies
One Pear

Half packet Pom bears
Greek Yoghurt
Half a sandwich
Packet of raisins
8 Mini cheddars
3 mini Breadsticks

Small Cheese
8 Grapes
1 Fruit roll

Carrot sticks
Chicken pasta
Greek Yoghurt with honey
5 animal biscuits
1 banana

9oz full fat milk before bed

I know boys are notorious for eating a lot but when I add it up I don't know where they put it all! They are the right height and weight for their age so no concerns there.

ODog Sat 30-Apr-16 18:16:11

My nearly two year old can put this amount away in a day but then will eat like a sparrow other days. As long as they are growing appropriately I would let them eat to their appetite. Maybe cut down the size of the bottles if you are worried. DS has about 4/5oz in the morning and the same before bed.

Daisyandbabies Sat 30-Apr-16 20:16:51

That is a lot but if there hungry, they're hungry! Much better to have kids with an appetite! I have one of each and it's soooo much nicer not stressing about your child not eating.
I have a 20 month old also. Today she has had:

Bowl of ready Brek
Yogurt
Tomato soup and one bite of sandwich
Cheese triangle
Small chocolate cake
4 strawberries
Tiny bite of cracker and pear
Banana
Shepherd's pie
Few spoons of rice pudding

She doesn't drink cows milk...breast fed her up to 18 months so she just doesn't like it. Your boys drink a lot of milk!

My 4 year old on the other hand...he would rather do anything but eat

Daisyandbabies Sat 30-Apr-16 20:17:29

Please excuse the typos, don't know how to edit posts on here!

PinkParsnips Sat 30-Apr-16 20:24:56

It does sound quite a lot written down but if they are hungry, they're hungry!

My DD 2.5 has eaten today:

Tommee tippee beaker of milk
Small bowl of ready brek, not finished

2 custard creams

1 slice of bread
Bit of chopped ham and cheese
Cucumber sticks

Another beaker of milk (never has this usually but asked for it)

Pasta with tomato sauce and veg
Couple slices of watermelon
Small yoghurt

Blueberry234 Sat 30-Apr-16 20:27:26

My 21 month old has eaten
3 tbsp ready break
3 raspberries
1/2 slice bread, butter and marmite
1 piece cucumber
1/2 yoghurt
Pasta bake and 3 raspberries

Plus 2 beakers milk

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sat 30-Apr-16 20:36:40

I dropped the milk feeds by a year. So I do think 18 oz of milk is excessive for an 18 month old. DC2 (9months) is on not much more than that a day.

At that age [and still has at 2.5] DC 1 would have

Breakfast
Beaker of milk [half a tommee ttppee cup] of milk alongside breakfast, 1 wheetabix and a piece of toast, maybe a handful of blueberries
Snack @ 10ish
1/2 a big rice cake/1 oatcake/half an orange/1 long breadstick
Lunch @ 12ish
If ploughmans bits and pieces ie 2 olives, a spoonful of sweetcorn, 2 cherry tomatoes, 1 slice of bread as a sandwich with philadelphia OR 1 avocado mashed with philadelphia and rice cakes. A sandwich from the supermarket would be enough for lunch with nothing else.
If hot - 1 small tin of baked beans and 1 slice of toast, scrambled egg and chopped tomatoes, a bowl of cauliflour cheese
1 pot of greek yoghurt and some blueberries
Snack @ 3ish
1/2 a big rice cake/1 oatcake/half an orange/1 long breadstick
Dinner @ 5.30ish
1 toddler plate worth of food. Spaghetti bolognaise, home made fishfingers/nuggets [2 pieces] Pie [same size as a cupcake] with peas and maybe some mash, 1 small baked potato with beans
Followed by yoghurt

Then nothing until the morning.

neversleepagain Sat 30-Apr-16 20:39:58

My (girl) twins have always been big eaters and at 3.7 still are.

They were tiny 5 pounders at birth and in early baby clothes until they were 3 months old. It is the complete opposite now, 90th centile for height (105cm) and 50th centile for weight. They are in 4-5 and some 5-6 clothes.

Some kids just eat more. Keep feeding them smile

AlwaysDancing1234 Sat 30-Apr-16 20:49:55

Sounds like my 21 months old DD except she's just eat crisps and chocolate buttons all day if given the chance!

justabigdisco Sat 30-Apr-16 23:35:27

Doesn't sound excessive to me. My 8 month old would eat what your 21 month old eats, Blueberry234!

dedicatedfollowerofyellow Sun 01-May-16 07:14:50

That sounds similar to what DC4 eats, he is around 20 months.

DC1 and 2 still had 2 bottles a day at that age, the morning bottle was always the first one to be dropped. DC1 had a night bottle until 2 1/2...we just dropped the evening bottle when they were no longer interested in having it (this goes completely against HV guidelines but, hey ho), DC3 and 4 stopped much earlier.

Juanbablo Sun 01-May-16 08:47:19

My children eat a lot, especially the boys. Dd doesn't have the same appetite. She would like to eat a tiny bit every hour. They are 8, 6 and 2.

Typically they eat:
Bowl of shreddies/weetabix and a slice of toast. Or a boiled egg (2 for ds1) and toast. Or pancakes.

Snack mid morning which is usually fruit.

Lunch: wrap or sandwich with tuna/cheese/salami/ham/peanut butter.
Carrot sticks/cucumber
Berries
Yoghurt

Snack after school usually brioche/cereal bar/biscuit. Ds1 will often say he his still hungry and have crackers or fruit.

Dinner is something like cottage pie/lasagne/roast dinner/risotto. Then pudding of tinned fruit/jelly/yoghurt, sometimes an ice lolly.

They are healthy, active children, they are a normal weight so I let them eat as much of the good stuff as they want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now