talk to me about ages 2-3

(22 Posts)
howiloveanicecupoftea Thu 28-Apr-16 17:36:32

What can I expect for the next year from my nearly two year old?

Eeeek686 Thu 28-Apr-16 17:53:22

This is such a variable question and really impossible to answer with an individual child in mind, IMO, as between 18-36m there's a massive range of what's really considered "normal" plus only you know where your child fits within that scope, iyswim?

Lots of baby/toddler related websites (including mumsnet!) can probably relay any relevant info far more succinctly, eloquently, and completely than random subjective individuals... Have you looked at the relevant section on here? Could probably be your first port of call! grin

WindPowerRanger Thu 28-Apr-16 17:56:09

Difficult difficult lemon difficult.

craftyoldhen Thu 28-Apr-16 18:20:00

I think this can be summarised in one word:

Tantrums

ShinyShinyShiny Thu 28-Apr-16 18:22:21

I can only speak from experience of my child (although most toddlers I know seem to have similar traits). To sum up in 3 words I'd say wilful, tantrums and funny!

kiki22 Thu 28-Apr-16 18:39:19

2 and 3 were our best years ds was a joy slept great, chatted to me, played well with others, very reasonable, since turning 4 at the start of this year he's been much more stroppy and not sleeping as well wants to be with us says hes lonely which was never a problem.

I realise ds is in the minority but we deff did not get terrible 2's, we was an awful baby though cried all the time and never slept I think he knew he pushed me to the edge he was just giving me some rest before turning into a stroppy 4 year old.

kiki22 Thu 28-Apr-16 18:43:19

2 and 3 were our best years ds was a joy slept great, chatted to me, played well with others, very reasonable, since turning 4 at the start of this year he's been much more stroppy and not sleeping as well wants to be with us says hes lonely which was never a problem.

I realise ds is in the minority but we deff did not get terrible 2's, we was an awful baby though cried all the time and never slept I think he knew he pushed me to the edge he was just giving me some rest before turning into a stroppy 4 year old.

LetThereBeCupcakes Thu 28-Apr-16 18:45:53

No terrible twos for us, either. DS was lovely. Inquisitive, funny, really starting to develop his personality. Bribery started working <bad mother Emoticon>

Three is turning out to be quite tough in comparison...

Joneseygirl77 Thu 28-Apr-16 21:50:13

I'm really interested in this thread as it appears Ds's are great from 2-3 and it all goes downhill at 3! What about for Dd's? My dd turned 2 over 2 weeks ago...am I in for 12 months of tantrums?! shock

Ratbagcatbag Thu 28-Apr-16 21:53:09

I laughed at all the horror stories of terrible twos. Then at 2yr 9 months she started. Then we hit the fecking threes. Oh my god!! You will need wine and chocolate. Lots of it!!
(She does have moments of being utterly adorable though).

NannawifeofBaldr Thu 28-Apr-16 21:55:52

Mine were actual more testing at 3-4 than 2-3.

Nevertheless stock up on chocolate (for you). smile

BusyCee Thu 28-Apr-16 22:13:19

Repetition. Repetition. REPETITION!

mrsmeerkat Thu 28-Apr-16 22:24:45

why that.. what next .. why that.. what next?

lots of questions. ☺

Fumnudge Thu 28-Apr-16 23:35:00

Absolutely adorable, funny, amazing, heartbreakingly perfect, sentences changing into proper conversations.
Mine turns 3 in June.
Dreading 3-4, nursery bad habits, attitude, possible biting, nightmares...... wink

MiaowTheCat Fri 29-Apr-16 13:40:01

Twos = piece of piss
Three = get wine. Lots of wine (and whine)

11 months between mine so I've done it twice over without a break inbetween - three is definitely worse than two - I quite liked two.

readingrainbow Fri 29-Apr-16 13:45:22

Very changeable, and no logic. Don't expect consistency in their behaviour, that is down to you. Remain calm during their thunderstorms of feeling and it will be okay.

I've found reflecting back their emotions seems to help end a tantrum/meltdown quickly. My DD hates her face being washed but this is of course unavoidable. When she is screaming at me I say, "You are angry because I washed your face. You don't like it. I'm sorry I upset you." She usually nods and stops screaming. Usually. See my first sentence.

Juanbablo Fri 29-Apr-16 14:25:35

Asserting independence. Wanting to make choices. Language coming along but not understanding why they can't have things. Learning to be funny/kind/that their actions have consequences.

My youngest is 2 (just) and swings wildly between hilarious and cute to a screaming ball of rage!

Juanbablo Fri 29-Apr-16 14:27:23

I found ds1 a very easy two/three year old (which was handy as I also had a baby) but an absolutely sod at 4/5.

Dd was a nightmare between 18mths and 2, then very lovely and a horrid 3 year old but has been pretty easy since then.

Ds2 is the most challenging so far.

idontlikealdi Fri 29-Apr-16 14:31:53

Why are you asking? Why? Why? Why? What? Why? What? Ad infinitum....

One of the most fun ages thoughsmile

jimijack Fri 29-Apr-16 14:38:52

Wilful, wild, tantrums,unreasonable, stopped eating, fussy, refusing...everything, hitting, throwing Things, fast at running away across car parks, roads, supermarkets.

Hilarious, loving, cheeky, clever, fun,chatty,growing fast, curious, independent, potty trained and absolutely scrumptious...especially when asleep.

flanjabelle Fri 29-Apr-16 14:41:32

I am half way through as my dd is 2.5 and this has been the best age so far. Her language has developed at an incredible rate, she now speaks in full sentences and can easily get her point across. We talk about everything, and she notices so much that I just walk by every day. She wants to know how absolutely everything works in the world and I'm the one who gets to explain it all to her.

She loves her stories. She can recite her favourite ones from memory. She often asks me to listen as she is going to tell me a story, it's adorable.

She can count to 20 and is starting to learn her alphabet. (I'm not a pushy mum, she just loves counting and the alphabet song)

The toys are so much more fun than they were when she was a baby. Also her imagination has gone wild. She loves pretend play, so pretending we are going to the shops, the zoo, the petshop etc and we buy things from 'the lady'.

She even tells me what she has dreamt about. The other night she had a bad dream and it was that me and her nannie were going down the plughole. She told me all about it!

Because her language has come on so much we rarely have proper tantrums. If she starts to get upset I ask her to explain herself and it can usually be easily sorted out. I found between 1.5 to 2 the worst age for tantrums because she couldn't explain herself.

She is building friendships with other children. She chats to them about her toys, she holds hands with her 'best friend' and it is absolutely incredible to watch her work out how to behave socially.

She is very kind, and seems to be developing empathy. If she sees someone upset, she will ask about it and wants to understand why they are sad. If I am sad, she will cuddle me and kiss me to try and make me feel better.

Sorry for epic post, but this really is the best age so far for me by a long mile. I am enjoying it so much.

ayesar Fri 29-Apr-16 20:37:16

My first one was difficult from 1.5 to about 4, so I had an extended difficult period with him. Somehow I got brave and had my second less than 2 years after my first. He was an absolute angel. So sweet and good natured. That is, until he turned 2.5. His tantrums started and continue now that he's 3. I wonder when he will stop this behavior lol. He is still a sweet boy but he just picks any random thing to get upset about and brings the whole house down with him. It's really tough! I'm hoping he gets better at 4.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now