Head lice advice please

(15 Posts)
ImpatientGriselda Thu 28-Apr-16 07:55:40

Nitty gritty combed 2 nights ago, followed by Hedrin Treat and Go last night, but found a live louse when nitty gritty combing out this morning. It says not to use the Hedrin for 7 days, but also says that using frequently can't hurt; would you use it again tonight?
Thankssmile

pippistrelle Thu 28-Apr-16 09:40:58

No, I wouldn't. I don't think you need any special treatments anyway - just keep on with the combing. Use lots of conditioner because a) it makes the combing easier, b) it means the beasties can't cling, and c) it suffocates them. It's a grim process, but regular, thorough combing for two weeks from the last live sighting will shift them.

Best of luck.

(Now my head is itching in empathy...)

CrazyDuchess Thu 28-Apr-16 09:42:22

Conditioner and combined every other day until totally clear!

I left the condition on for an hour to suffocate the bastards! Persistence is key

ImpatientGriselda Thu 28-Apr-16 10:09:24

But she has so much hair! I don't have any confidence in my ability to root out gazillions of eggs without nuking them with chemicals...

CrazyDuchess Thu 28-Apr-16 10:11:47

Patience is key. Section off small areas and work through it methodically.

I can't compare because my daughter has very fine hair but a lot of it and very fragile hair too.

I can only recommend what worked for me. Good luck x

ImpatientGriselda Thu 28-Apr-16 10:15:47

Thank you smile; I have oodles of thick curls to contend with...

CrazyDuchess Thu 28-Apr-16 10:27:31

Yeah - my daughterson hair is mixed race. the weight of the conditioner pulls it straight. I use the aussie stuff.

I would just give it a crack - I have never used the chemicals and managed to eradicate the nits fine without them.

pippistrelle Thu 28-Apr-16 10:32:43

My daughter has thick, thick wavy hair. It's a pain but combing works more reliably than chemicals, I've found.

ImpatientGriselda Thu 28-Apr-16 10:51:02

Thank you all; will tough it out with daily conditioning and combing until we are insect-free.

CrazyDuchess Thu 28-Apr-16 11:06:13

Every other day should suffice - don't make it too traumatising!

CrazyDuchess Thu 28-Apr-16 11:06:35

For the both of you- it's not fun

CrazyDuchess Thu 28-Apr-16 11:07:18

flowers

Pedestriana Thu 28-Apr-16 11:27:05

I don't use the chemicals.
I opted for conditioner on the hair - rinsed it, slathered it on and left for 20 mins whilst in the bath, then washed it out, conditioned again, rinsed and combed.

Three outbreaks of lice at school this academic year - DD has not been affected.
Admittedly, clips and other things won't stay in her hair either, but it seems to be too slippery for the nasty little nits to get a grip.

ImpatientGriselda Wed 04-May-16 10:51:47

Thanks to all for your help; I can report that we are nit-free after doing a nitty gritty combing and chemicals combo smile

CrazyDuchess Fri 06-May-16 14:15:04

Excellent smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now