Travel tips needed! 11 hour flight with 7 month old!!

(9 Posts)
Peachy86 Wed 27-Apr-16 15:29:22

I need some advice/ helpful hints for an upcoming trip. We're going to the Maldives with our 7 month old DS, travelling business class so baby will have a flat bed/ space to play, then seaplane transfer. Anyone got any good tips for travelling with a baby and for when we're away e.g. best clothing, travel toys etc. I've already been told by one friend to pack multiple individual changing bags (nappy, wipes, cream in a ziplock bag) so I don't have to take my big changing bag into airplane toilet (more tips like that would be great)!

MiddleClassProblem Wed 27-Apr-16 15:41:08

I'm not sure I understand the individual changing bag thing, sounds like hassle, you can get bits out at your seat if the loo is tiny but I did it with changing bag just fine and I'm not skinny, and remember cream will need to be is the liquid bag for security.

Some airports you can pre order milk from boots the other side of security rather than take an extra for them to open and reduce your bag weight. We did this at Heathrow. You need to do it at least a week in advance.

DD was 15 months so a bit different. 7 months will prob sleep more. Milk at take off and landing to ease pressure in ears (DD just sucked a cloth for landing or had water) or a dummy if using one.

I packed little ziplock bags with light bits in to investigate and some hollow plastic Easter eggs. I got bits from hobby craft (technically not age appropriate) fluffy Pom poms, felt animals and flowers, things that won't roll down the plane when they fall on the floor. We bought kids headphones with volume limiting but she fussed to much wearing them but did play with them.

Google busy bags for 7 months for ideas

MiddleClassProblem Wed 27-Apr-16 15:42:09

Also non plane related we used sterilising bags you get from boots. Light weight and easy to use in a hotel room

Peachy86 Wed 27-Apr-16 15:44:42

Thanks MiddleClassProblem - such a good idea about using toys that don't roll! I hadn't even thought of that but it makes sense! Will try and order milk at airport too.

MiddleClassProblem Wed 27-Apr-16 15:51:45

They drop and fling stuff so quickly it's definitely a bonus to not have to scrabble about for things. My iPad was the real saviour! Would recommend babyview app if you have any apple products. Fortunately she was a bit older and watching a show every now and then broke it up.
Also plan your own eating. One of you will always be holding the baby unless there's a bassinet or an extra seat so you eat in shifts. Ours was a night flight so I had dinner at the airport and just went with out on the plane. I did have a couple of polis though...

MiddleClassProblem Wed 27-Apr-16 15:52:05

Polos! Not polis

Daisyandbabies Wed 27-Apr-16 16:10:04

I found that was a pretty easy age as mine weren't desperate to get down and crawl yet and still slept a lot. Lots of wipes, changes of clothes, plenty of breast/bottle feeds, plenty of snacks (those squeezy pouches you can get after security) and some baby tv on the iPad. Wear a long interesting necklace for them to play with and a few of their favourite toys and books. Good luck!

Caterina99 Wed 27-Apr-16 21:44:02

Flew when DS was 6 months. 8 hour flight although it was partly at night so he slept for a lot of it. He also wasn't mobile, so that helped. A baby carrier was really helpful so you have hands free (I was alone so it was essential, still handy with 2 of you though), take more milk and nappies than you'd normally use in that time, but you can buy nappies at the airport. DS had at least 2 extra bottles, all routine went out the window. If you use formula then ready made for on plane was easiest.

I found it easier to have just one bag for use on the plane and then keep the emergency stash so to speak of clothes and nappies etc in my other bag in overhead locker, otherwise it's too hard to find what you need. Extra Muslins and bibs! By 7 months I guess he'll be eating, so little snacks to keep him busy. Videos on iPad/phone. You can buy straps to fasten toys, bottles, cups to baby which I use for the pushchair and they were good on the plane. Especially to stop dummy getting thrown on the floor. Dummy was my best friend - DS had it in his mouth permanently!

signofthebellbird Wed 27-Apr-16 21:56:28

We got some invaluable advice when going round the world with small kids - if one of you books a vegetarian meal, it will come at a different time and then there's always someone free to deal with the baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now