Keep me company - A&E with little one

(29 Posts)
magratsflyawayhair Sat 23-Apr-16 18:38:22

My 18month old has been ill all today but tonight got really hot, my thermometer isn't great, but 38.7 up to 39.3 and Calpol hasn't brought it down in the last hour. He's not eaten. Has patches of red spotty rash that weren't going completely under glass and his breathing keeps going raspy and shallow (a though typically he looks brighter now we're here). I know it's probably nothing, and DH thinks in overreacting, but I figured better safe than sorry yes!?

Gizlotsmum Sat 23-Apr-16 18:40:13

Much better safe than sorry. Hope it's nothing more than a bad virus

PotteringAlong Sat 23-Apr-16 18:41:24

Yes, definitely with those symptoms

Babymamamama Sat 23-Apr-16 18:44:22

Hope he is ok. I had to take dd into a and e or whatever they call it these days a couple of years ago. So I can sympathise. Have you been seen yet? Keep your strength up with regular snacks and drinks. It can go on for hours.

Kr1stina Sat 23-Apr-16 18:46:36

Yes you are doing the right thing

Is your LO asleep in the buggy ? How long have you been waiting ?

Most hospitals have a triage system, so someone might come to assess you son reasonably quickly .

magratsflyawayhair Sat 23-Apr-16 18:46:38

Thanks everyone. I managed to eat my full roast dinner before leaving BabyMama and have milk for DS. Should be ok at least until we are seen by the triage nurse.

Kr1stina Sat 23-Apr-16 18:47:29

That's a good sign that DS is still drinking . Try not to worry too much, you are in the best place

magratsflyawayhair Sat 23-Apr-16 18:48:20

He's resting on me. He wants to be close but I'm fine with that. Been about half an hour. One lad arrived after us but has been taken in. Poor thing sounded really ill so I don't mind waiting. Hopefully we'll be next.

freshprincess Sat 23-Apr-16 18:48:40

Definitely better safe than sorry. course by the time you see the doctor he'll be totally perked up and you'll look like a loon (or is that just mine?)

magratsflyawayhair Sat 23-Apr-16 18:51:43

He's already more interested in life than when I left freshprincess but he's still very hot so don't feel like a total fraud smile

corythatwas Sat 23-Apr-16 18:54:50

flowers to you magrats, you are doing the right thing

hope you get good news soon

Afreshstartplease Sat 23-Apr-16 18:59:05

Fingers crossed for you op

freshprincess Sat 23-Apr-16 19:00:38

The magical healing powers of the children's A&E!!

magratsflyawayhair Sat 23-Apr-16 19:04:16

Have seen triage nurse he was reassuring but said I'd done right bringing him in. Waiting on doctor now.

Babymamamama Sat 23-Apr-16 19:11:36

Brilliant. Hopefully doc will say the same and you can be on your way. Definitely better to check out the rash though.

magratsflyawayhair Sat 23-Apr-16 19:58:55

They suspect croup. But want to do bloods and observe a bit to rule out anything worse. Going to be here a while. DH at home with my worried slightly older DD so our friends are bringing me his nappy bag and supplies. I'm very lucky to have amazing support.

Kr1stina Sat 23-Apr-16 20:36:04

That's good that they are keeping an eye on him. Please reassure your DD that Ds will be fine , that the staff will do their best to make him better

magratsflyawayhair Sat 23-Apr-16 22:12:30

Keeping us in overnight to keep an eye on his breathing. I think he's OK as do they but they want to be sure. Supposed to be his christening tomorrow. Fingers crossed we make it sad

Babymamamama Sat 23-Apr-16 23:55:17

Hope all is well and you get to go home tomorrow. Proves you did the right thing taking him in.

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Sun 24-Apr-16 00:06:25

Best of luck to you and your DS magratsflyawayhair. You did right to trust your instincts. flowers

GlitteryFluff Sun 24-Apr-16 00:10:43

Hope he's ok. Fingers crossed you can get some sleep at some point and are out in time for christening tomorrow! thanks

magratsflyawayhair Sun 24-Apr-16 07:22:13

Well I'm here. Had a couple of hours sleep in the most uncomfortable chair ever designed for sleeping in. DS had a good night though and the medicine seems to be helping him. We should be released for the christening on the proviso we don't overdo it and bring him back if we have any concerns.

almostthirty Sun 24-Apr-16 07:25:56

So glad he's feeling better. Hope you manage a few hours sleep before the christening.

Kr1stina Sun 24-Apr-16 08:40:05

That's great news. Hope the christening goes smoothly

magratsflyawayhair Sun 24-Apr-16 09:36:10

Back to possibly not making christening as his temp is going back up. That's fine, I've called church and warned them. Just want him better now. Seeing docs in a wee while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now