"kick me out"

(7 Posts)
sandle Wed 20-Apr-16 22:01:59

My 17 year old son wants to go and live with his dad, but has asked me to "kick him out" so they can get a two bed property from the council. His dad is on disability benefit and wants my son to be his carer. I am uncomfortable with this, any advice please.

usual Wed 20-Apr-16 22:06:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kissedbyamoonbeam Wed 20-Apr-16 22:12:25

Are you uncomfortable with your son living with his dad or the way you have to work the system? Are you in a council property? Will it have a knock on effect on your lease/finances? You may need to consider that. If you go through the kicking out, the council have no obligation to give him a 2 bed home. They will probably offer your son a homeless shelter to begin with. Or supported lodgings because of his age. It's not as cut and droed as your son seems to think.

uhoh2016 Wed 20-Apr-16 22:34:04

I would try and dissuade him, no offence to his Dad but why would he want to become his Dad's carer at age 17 ? Surely he should be going to college or trying to find work or an apprenticeship. Claiming carers will give him around £60 a week. I wonder if his Dad is feeding him a dream story of a nice 2 bed property (I'm assuming paid by benefits if Dad needs care) so they can watch TV chill out all say and your ds gets paid carers allowance for doing this.

sandle Thu 21-Apr-16 08:25:32

They do sleep all day and stay up late watching Netflix* uhoh2016*, he comes home the night before he has college as he can get the bus more easily from my house. My internet goes off at 11 (so he can't stay up all night) and he thinks this is unfair as his dad lets him stay up, let's him sleep in and cooks them a fry up breakfast (in the afternoon).

I want him to finish his college course and go straight into his chosen vocation, not stuck with his layabout dad, who claims pip for arthritis and has been work shy all his adult life.

I am not going to write the letter, as I am not supporting a move to his dad's.

Thanks for replies.

kissedbyamoonbeam Thu 21-Apr-16 09:28:11

Ok. In that case, rather than just refusing to write the letter, could you say to your son you have investigated what would happen if you threw him out and he wouldn't get anything more than a room in a hostel, then a couple of months assessment in supported lodgings to see if he can manage. That the council have no obligation to house him with his dad because of his age? Such a shame he is too young to see the bigger picture sad

sandle Thu 21-Apr-16 14:25:00

Thanks for good advice kissedbyamoombeam

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now