Has anyone got any foolproof ways of your children not losing their stuff?

(9 Posts)

Or if it does get lost you've managed to get it back.
My son has recently lost his PE bag which he's had since reception containing his entire kit! And a coat I've only just bought! angry

RaisingSteam Tue 19-Apr-16 19:14:57

How old is he?

Herewegoagainfolks Tue 19-Apr-16 19:17:12

1) Label everything.
2) make sure your children know that you consider it their responsibility not to lose anything.

I've managed to get two children through 5 years at their school without losing anything at all.

They are fully aware that I would consider losing coats/shoes/PE kit etc deeply unacceptable so they make sure they always have their stuff.

Finally, it does help to try and buy coats etc in a slightly unusual colour. Makes it harder to get it mixed up with the 20 other black anoraks.

He's almost 13.

Herewegoagainfolks Tue 19-Apr-16 19:22:57

I'd be pretty cross, to be honest 13 is old enough not to lose his coat.

He'd be paying for a new one out if his pocket money.

RaisingSteam Tue 19-Apr-16 19:25:36

Get all the labels possible - sew/stick etc. Get your mobile number on them as well as the name. Label everything prominently- no faded biro on the wash label- right on the neckline where it can be seen.

If this is the first loss since reception count yourself lucky. They might come back. But some permanent loss us inevitable!

SoupDragon Tue 19-Apr-16 19:26:53

The only foolproof way is not to buy them anything! grin

Which, TBH, isn't terribly practical.

tacal Tue 19-Apr-16 19:46:28

Could it be that another child has taken them? Did he check in the lost property at school?

It is good that he has managed to have the same PE bag since reception. Sounds like he is usually careful with his belonging unlike my ds.

My policy is too buy once and then if they lose it they have to replace it with their own money. Luckily he has just got himself a paper round, he was going to give some of the money too church (not sure how I feel about that as I'm not religious).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now