what to do with a 4 year old...

(7 Posts)
lostindevon Tue 19-Apr-16 15:07:34

So I'm fortunate enough to have just been able to reduce my hours at work, up until recently I've been working either FT or 30 hours a week.
I've gone down to three days, to have more time off with my dc2 (age 4)
She is due to start school in September, so this is our time, I'm planning on spending lots of quality time together, but I'm struggling to find ways to fill our days already (week 2)!!
Does anyone have any tips?
Activities that I've not thought of....

In the past we've always been quite chilled on our days off together as little one was always quite worn out from nursery so we'd play at home, go to the library and feed the ducks!

There are a few play groups around but I think they'll be a bit babyish, she is really ready for school (another reason for reducing hours, nursery isn't really teaching her anything anymore!)

Any tips will be gratefully received!!

jeavcike Tue 19-Apr-16 15:47:54

I don't plan anything with mine tbh. They're fine with just impromptu trips to the park/water park/museums/woods/train rides etc. and just talk to them ignoring people who might think I'm being a performance parent. Anything, no matter how mundane, can be made exciting at that age.

BikeRunSki Tue 19-Apr-16 15:54:55

I work 3 days a week, have done since dc1 was born nearly 8 years ago. Dc2 is 4, and will also be going to school in September. On our Mondays dc2 (DD) has a ballet lesson mid morning. On the way home we do some errands, home, lunch, maybe some baking, cooking for the week ahead, park, walk, swimming, library etc before picking up DS from school.

On Fridays we have no regular committment, so we have more time. Could do any of those things, meet up with her friends/their mums for lunch, have a friend over, go into town on the bus (this is a huge adventure). If DS is going out to tea and we don't have to be back by 3pm, we sometimes get an all day bus/train ticket and see where we end up!

lenibose Tue 19-Apr-16 15:58:06

On our free day, we get up and get ready early. Go swimming in the morning. Then home for lunch. Read books and chill. Off to the park or something very very vaguely educational, or painting or whatever. Or get up and go into Central London- do a museum etc, lunch, walk about, ride various forms of transportation and head back.

CakeAndChocolate Tue 19-Apr-16 16:09:07

There is a Facebook page called "imagination tree" that has lots of outdoorsy/crafty ideas for pre-schoolers.

lostindevon Tue 19-Apr-16 21:32:17

Thank you for all of your posts.

I'm perhaps over complicating it!
I just really want to make the most of the next few months.

I'll have a look at the Facebook page too. smile

waterrat Wed 20-Apr-16 13:23:57

I have a four yr old and his favourite thing is being outdoors and running around ..preferably with other children! If indoors he absolutely loves playing those orchard games...or anything similar. Junior monopply was a big hit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now