Baby boy taking less milk

(8 Posts)
EJane26 Thu 14-Apr-16 12:56:23

Hi can anyone help?! My lo is 11 weeks old and over the last couple of days he has taken considerably less milk than normal. He is bottle fed and was having around 7 or 8 oz bottles (he's a chunky baby) but now he will only take 2oz with 4oz being the maximum he will take. He has a bit of milk then pushes the teat out his mouth and screams and cries. Ive tried stopping more during the feed, not stopping as much, winding more, larger teat but no improvement. Any suggestions?

Timetogrowup2016 Thu 14-Apr-16 16:24:35

Has he got a cold or maybe he feels under the weather?

BisherBasherBosher Thu 14-Apr-16 16:28:56

My DD went through phases of eating little and often. Is he having the same overall amount just in little bits? Or is the total amount for the day considerably less?

Anotherdayanotherdollar Thu 14-Apr-16 16:31:35

Have you checked his mouth for thrush? It would be a white coating that doesn't wipe away.

EJane26 Thu 14-Apr-16 16:49:51

Thanks for your replies. I have checked his mouth but nothing on the inside of his cheeks or on his tongue. He seems well in himself really, no temp and still smiling and happy. He was taking around 45 oz pet 24 hours (which I believe is a lot anyway) but he's dropped to around 31 oz per day. He would do 7 or 8 oz every 3-4 hours and now he does 2-3 oz every 2-3 hours but cries and pushes the teat out after this amount. Is this anything to worry about? As he doesn't seem to be loosing weight and still takes 30+ oz per 24 hrs which is enough isn't it?

BisherBasherBosher Thu 14-Apr-16 17:58:41

Sound like he's getting enough milk overall. As long as he's gaining weight and has plenty of wet nappies I wouldn't be too worried. Maybe he was going through a growth spurt when he was having the larger amounts.

I think I'd go to the doctors though, as if he cries after having a small amount it could mean it's hurting him. I'd want rule out reflux I think. Or is he only crying if you encourage him to have more once he's finished?

My DD always pushed the teat out of her mouth when she'd had enough and smacked the bottle away with her hand. She was very assertive in letting me know when she'd had enough!

EJane26 Fri 15-Apr-16 06:43:21

Hi, thank you. He slept much better last night but was pretty upset having his bed time bottle. He did have reflux at the beginning but this has improved a lot since. When he had it at the beginning he would bring back full feeds but someone has told me about silent reflux so maybe need to consider this. My lo does the same with bottle when had enough lol, smacking my hand away. Last night he screamed and cried and wouldn't take any milk even though he hadn't had any in 4 hours, I cuddled him for a while and then about 15 mins later he took the 4 oz no problem with no squirming or crying..........so very confused! I won't worry to much if he gets enough milk over the 24hrs but I do hope he settles back down again soon 🙁

ProseccoPoppy Sun 17-Apr-16 09:15:21

Obviously it will very much depend on your baby but to me 31oz still sounds like quite a lot! Certainly plenty. My DD (6months) has expressed BM and on days where she has all expressed bottles she gets through 25 - 30 oz in 24 hours. Usually about 28oz, 30 is rare. At your lo's age she was taking that as lots of small feeds (about 3oz at a time), now fewer feeds but closer to 5oz. They have tiny tummies so I thought little and often was a good thing tbh. One thought on him being upset taking milk - have you considered a cow's milk protein intolerance? It took a while for us to twig that my DD had an issue (her intolerance is quite mild but she still was gassy, greenish poo sometimes, quite bad eczema, bit of reflux). She's so much happier since I went dairy free, and there are dairy free formulas out there too. Best of luck, it's horrible seeing them uncomfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now