Fed my baby honey by accident!

(15 Posts)
Weebeastiebaby Wed 13-Apr-16 13:00:21

I feel awful. I made a stir fry for my ds who is 9 months old. In order to avoid using salty processed sauces I mixed 2 tbsp honey with 1 tbsp garlic purée and totally forgot the advice not to give honey to babies under 12 months! He ate a small portion from a pan of about 4 adult portions. I'm so worried. What should I do? What should I look out for? Should I phone a doctor?

Branleuse Wed 13-Apr-16 13:02:06

your baby will be absolutely fine x

CottonSock Wed 13-Apr-16 13:02:20

Don't overreact, you cooked it. I'm sure it's fine

stitch10yearson Wed 13-Apr-16 13:03:05

crawling babies are known to eat bugs. a little honey wont harm him.

MegBusset Wed 13-Apr-16 13:03:31

He'll be fine. When's the last time anyone you know got food poisoning from honey?

Weebeastiebaby Wed 13-Apr-16 13:05:44

Thanks all. I got so used to him eating anything and everything that I forgot that there are rules for what babies can eat. Feel so worried as am leaving him overnight to work so won't be able to keep an eye on him and too embarrassed to tell MIL what I've done!

CorBlimeyTrousers Wed 13-Apr-16 13:14:04

He'll be fine I'm sure. A lot of that advice is very cautious. Yes I wouldn't deliberately give my baby honey but honestly the chances of him developing botulism must be TINY. Here is some more info if you're worried though. Don't be embarrassed to tell your MIL. I bet we were all fed honey in the 1970s!

www.nhs.uk/conditions/Botulism/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Florentina27 Thu 14-Apr-16 00:10:17

My sister in law used to give her baby honey and cows milk, I told her she wasn't suppose to( and at the time didn't have a baby, but it just warns you on bottle) and she said they are hood for her, anyway, didn't argue but her daughter( who's now nearly 4 ) was perfectly fine, so I wouldn't worry

uhoh2016 Thu 14-Apr-16 12:31:09

I'm sure she'll be fine and if she wasn't going to be fine I'm sure you'd know about it by now. I know what you mean tho about panicking over what they can and can't have its such a minefield these days. My mil have my ds (13m) salt and vinegar crisp the other day I'm sure he shouldn't be eating them just with the salt content alone but he's absolutely fine and apparently loved them 🙈
As long as she's not eating honey all the time I think your safe. When my eldest dc were babies nuts were a complete no no but now they encourage peanut butter every so often so you can't win I'm afraid

uhoh2016 Thu 14-Apr-16 12:32:36

*he not she sorry

strawberrypenguin Thu 14-Apr-16 12:35:04

It was cooked so I wouldn't worry too much. If your worried do give your GP a quick call though - they can talk it through with you on the phone.

Pinkheart5915 Thu 14-Apr-16 12:36:34

He probably had such a tiny amount in his portion, he will be absolutely fine

skankingpiglet Thu 14-Apr-16 17:19:27

The risk of him getting infant botulism is tiny, they only say to avoid in the first 12mo as if they get it then it can be quite serious. As it's not something a baby needs or will miss then it's easiest just to remove the (albeit minimal) risk from their diet. Your DS will be fine smile

I also accidentally fed my DD honey before 12mo. We'd had it for dinner the night before and I reheated her a portion from the leftovers without thinking about it until she was a good way through it. She is now 22mo and currently demonstrating her skills as a future wrestler by body slamming me from the arm of the sofa grin

Pixienott0005 Mon 18-Apr-16 13:04:42

I didn't know babies couldn't have honey, where have I been?

BertieBotts Mon 18-Apr-16 13:07:34

Don't worry. The risk is very small and it's only to avoid because it can be serious rather than because it's very common, if that makes sense?

In all likelihood if every baby in the UK was fed honey regularly a really tiny number of them would get ill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now