Parenting book recommendations - tricky 6 year old

(3 Posts)
Vilio Wed 13-Apr-16 12:00:57

My eldest is generally very good. But he's quite immature socially. He's also very gullible and won't stand up for himself with other children. He kind of follows along but sometimes gets it wrong.
He's very good to play one-on-one with another child and if he plays with a group its usually a group of girls. He will play their game but would never lead a game himself.
He can sometimes have trouble with boundaries too.
I can see him becoming a child that would be easily bullied.
I want to nip this in the bud before it develops and I would like to give us as parents some tools to help him help himself.
I seem to tell him a lot what not to do but I'm not sure how to tell him to interact with other children. I expected it to come naturally but either its very slow to happen or he needs to be told these things.

Is the a parenting book which might help me to give him more ideas on how to behave socially? I'm not sure would this be classed as emotional intelligence (I've seen a few books on that) or something else.
Or anything I should be doing?

We've spoken to school about it and they are observing him but they just think he will grow out of it.

Vilio Thu 14-Apr-16 13:03:01

Bumping.....

babyblabber Thu 14-Apr-16 20:23:03

Google John Sharry psychologist. He writes a column here in Ireland on loads of childhood issues and answers letters and they are all on his website. Loads of topics covered and I'm pretty sure I've seen one similar to yours before. His advice is very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now