Thumbsucker with painful cut / sore on thumb. WWYD?

(10 Posts)
magratsflyawayhair Mon 11-Apr-16 12:10:47

My 18 month old is a thumb sucker. Just the one thumb. On the of of his thumb he has a cut I think, though it could be a sore from sucking I guess. I just cleaned his hand after lunch before spotting it and he's screamed so it's obviously painful.

How would treat it. I'd put a plaster on but he'd suck it. Same with creams etc. Any bright ideas as to what might help until it heals a bit? I'm feeling stumped.

I'll try add a pic for you.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Mon 11-Apr-16 12:13:52

Lansinoh?

winchester1 Mon 11-Apr-16 12:21:43

I was going to say lansinoh too. Also I put a bit of toothpaste on my kids thumb for a few weeks (just at toothbrushing time) and it has cut back the amount of thumb
Sucking a little, I guess it depends I they like the taste or not though.

magratsflyawayhair Mon 11-Apr-16 12:50:29

Lansinoh! Brilliant idea. I gave away my barely used tube after he finished breastfeeding but boots isn't far away. It looks so sore sad

magratsflyawayhair Mon 11-Apr-16 12:51:44

He loves minty toothpaste and strong flavours unfortunately. My issue with this really, other than him being in pain, are his sleep. I hadn't noticed it until today but it explains the screaming and inability to settle last night, which is unusual, if he can't suck his thumb and it hurts.

winchester1 Mon 11-Apr-16 20:40:47

You could try some woollen mittens at night so he can suck without being in pain.

Sootica Mon 11-Apr-16 20:48:02

My 18 month old got a burn on her thumb and had to suck the other thumb instead. She wasn't happy with the other thumb but accepted it as it was obviously painful and bandaged up. If you think it really needs to heal without the sucking I'd bandage it and hope he'll go for the other thumb. My thumb sucker had sucked her left thumb since birth but was ok with the right thumb in an emergency . She's almost 6 and still a sucker!

CountryPlumpkin Mon 11-Apr-16 20:54:20

My two both sucked their thumbs when young and both eventually got a little sore from too much sucking. I kept it clean and sterile and popped a little baby sock over their hands at night with dressing tape around the wrist, to let the sore heal and get fresh air. They settled to sleep fine each night and within a week the sore had healed - they also stopped sucking their thumb blush

jeavcike Mon 11-Apr-16 21:08:11

Ds used to suck his middle two fingers and one week, when he was about 2, a big blister thing came up and the more he sucked the worse it got.
We put a little bit of sterile dressing on and taped it up with a load of gauze tape. After a day or three, swapping and cleaning it every night/morning, it'd broken the sucking cycle and he hasn't sucked them since.

magratsflyawayhair Tue 12-Apr-16 15:23:13

Well he's still putting his thumb in, albeit tentatively, it still looks sore though. He slept better last night. I thought I'd try a dressing today but the wee genius managed to get it off, even unraveling the tape. Gloves don't stay put. So I'll stick with Lansinoh and see how we go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now