Will punching exercises affect toddler behaviour??!

(10 Posts)
oneconfusedchick Sun 10-Apr-16 08:04:26

I'm not really sure where to put this . I can often find mothering a newborn and toddler overwhelming and frustrating sometimes I feel quite trapped and really feel the need to let off steam my question is how do you do that when you are constantly looking after a newborn who cries when you put him down ? Sometimes I find doing some punching exercises helped to destress but I am worried that doing this could influence my toddlerS behaviour and encourage him to punch... So am not sure it's ok to do in front of him???!

ChannelFiftySeven Sun 10-Apr-16 08:08:09

It depends on lots of things. Whether your toddler is able to understand it's an exercise etc, acceptable places / circumstances to perform the actions.

There is a lot of research into modelling behaviour in child development (right back to Bandura and Bobo dolls and before!)

If in doubt just do the exercises when the toddler isn't around - problem solved!

Thisisnotausername Sun 10-Apr-16 09:57:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KatyN Sun 10-Apr-16 11:23:42

My husband and son play fighting a lot. He us now 4 and I think it really helps him. I read something that talked about learning to control aggression being a vital skill. So when they play fighting they can hit, trip etc. This is unacceptable behaviour when they are not playing.
Hope that makes sense kx

Wolfiefan Sun 10-Apr-16 11:25:53

I go to a body combat class and have taken my kids. That's fine.
Not sure that punching randomly in the house because you are stressed is that good.

Imeg Sun 10-Apr-16 12:39:54

Can you do punching exercises in a specific place in the house with a pillow or cushion or something and maybe a specific piece of music on? So it is clear to the toddler that punching is ok in those specific circumstances but not otherwise? In that case I can't see a problem.

Imeg Sun 10-Apr-16 12:42:29

Ps If done in a controlled manner I would think it is positive to show your toddler that when you are frustrated you have an outlet for it that doesn't hurt anyone. I have various issues which I am beginning to realise are caused by bottling up my feelings and staying outwardly very calm and I think it would be much better if I had a strategy like yours (I may even try it!).

ChannelFiftySeven Sun 10-Apr-16 14:36:30

As others have said internalising negative feelings such as frustration or anger can be really harmful. Finding an outlet is indeed a positive thing.

However I would just be mindful of teaching a strategy that involves a physical expression of emotion.

Punching, combat sports, exercise, etc are all great activities to use as a preventative measure against bottling up feelings and to promote good mental well being. The problem arises with punching as an expression of emotion when the person is in a situation where an emotion is evoked and they are unable to use the physical expression. If they haven't been taught a way to deal with the emotion in another way it can get problematic.

I agree with what others have said about this sort of exercise being positive in the right circumstances though.

oneconfusedchick Sun 10-Apr-16 18:38:49

Thanks - today I have managed to do some punches (they are ones I learnt from the 30 day shred) away from my toddler ... They def help me De stress a bit - sometimes I think of my old boss and imagine im punching him too which I do have to admit feels pretty good (controlling w**ker) Am hoping to try some gym/ body combat soon baby still young tho so might wait a bit.

MadamDeathstare Sun 10-Apr-16 18:40:30

Maybe some karate forms would be the way to go? If he is interested in karate later on he'll have got a head start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now