Petting farm - what age?

(11 Posts)
winchester1 Thu 07-Apr-16 18:12:16

Will a 15month old and 2.5 yr old get anything put of a petting farm?
Background it will cost £15 for half the day and is an hr each way to get there. Also we live rurally so they see cows, horses, hens, sheep every day.
And I'll be on my own with them.
So worth it or just as much fun to play in the sandpit?

ODog Thu 07-Apr-16 19:03:43

My DS loved farms from when he was about 15mo so I'd say go for it. He's almost 2 now and gets more out of it each time.

MrsA2 Fri 08-Apr-16 14:23:43

I took my 20 month old this morning, she adores little farms and touching the animals and has done for months - probably since at least a year old. Top tip, firstly see if you can find a farm that does 'hold the animal' type sessions throughout the day, mine loves that kind of thing. Also if you are allowed to feed the animals food you buy on arrival then at our local farm it is much better to go there in the morning - by the afternoon the animals have had all the food they want for the day...! Have fun.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Fri 08-Apr-16 14:26:34

The animals at these places are used to being handled, unlike the cows, sheep etc you see everyday in the fields.

Make sure both children have a thorough hand wash immediately after petting any animal though - little ones are apt to put hands in mouth a lot!

winchester1 Fri 08-Apr-16 19:40:40

Oh good point the little one is a thumb sucker, think I have some hand sanitizer somewhere.

Ohwoolballs Fri 08-Apr-16 19:48:30

There is a hilarious photo of my aged about 1 1/2 being surrounded by wee goats trying to get to the bag of feed my chubby hands were holding. The look of panic on my face and hilarity on my dads and older sister is ace.
I'd say go and have fun 🙂

MargaretCabbage Sat 09-Apr-16 00:02:05

DS is 14 months and loves the petting zoo section at our local zoo. He loves stroking the animals and following chickens around. A noisy goose brought about real tears during our last visit though!

suspiciousofgoldfish Sun 10-Apr-16 01:11:44

I personally love a petting zoo, so I would go just for my enjoyment.

My 19 mo DS would not be the slightest bit interested. He might look at a cow for 20 seconds but then would want to go and play with a stone and a puddle for an hour.

Took him to the zoo today. I thought surely a giraffe would impress him - they are undeniably strange and magnificent creatures.

Turned round and he was scratching a wooden post. Wanted to do that for the next 30 mins.

Take them and see, at least you'll be able to cuddle a chick if nothing else.

TiredOfSleep Sun 10-Apr-16 15:49:27

Sounds good. There's often soft play at these places too.

Amummyatlast Sun 10-Apr-16 21:30:15

Took DD (2.5) to a petting farm today and she loved it.

ILeaveTheRoomForTwoMinutes Sun 10-Apr-16 21:34:54

12 months onwards.

we also lived in the countryside, but there is something different about these places. DS both loved going for many years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now