poorly 8 month old not ate solids for a week

(5 Posts)
Nottsangel2015 Sat 02-Apr-16 09:16:55

Hi everyone, dd2 is 8 months old and has a bad viral infection, she has been to dr's who has said they're not worried as she is drinking milk but has put her on some antibiotics as she does have particularly bad cough. It's been a week now and she still isn't back on solids, doesn't even seem bothered about them either, is this normal? She had just got a fantastic eating routine and had a great appetite for an ex preemie and I'm worried now we will have to go back to square one, has anyone experienced similar?

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Sat 02-Apr-16 09:20:42

My 17mo regularly goes off his food at the slightest hint of a cold. He goes all the way back to just taking milk and the occasional smoothie. He is still above the 50th centile and well above the 75th centile in height. It's frustrating as he wakes hungry at night but I'm the same and don't feel like eating when I'm ill. As long as he's taking plenty of fluids he'll be fine.

Nottsangel2015 Sat 02-Apr-16 09:34:55

Thank you for the quick reply, I was hoping this was all it was. As she is a preemie she is on a different weight scale but she is only on the 5th percentile (only weighs 14lb at 8 months old), following it nicely up to now though so the consultants are happy but worried this will knock her below that line now and she is so tiny I'd hate her to start losing weight :-(. She is probably having 4-5 bottles a day at the minute and was waking for one in the night but last two nights she hasn't bothered too.
Fingers crossed she gets her appetite back soon

EsmesBees Sat 02-Apr-16 09:46:55

My dd (who was also tiny) had a similar illness at the same age and was off food and formula (she was mix fed) for over a week. I was having kittens about her loosing weight but the GP kept reassuring me that as long as she was having breastmilk and water then it would be fine. And then once she was better she was ravenous and wouldn't stop eating. So as long as she's staying hydrated don't worry about the solid food.

Nottsangel2015 Sat 02-Apr-16 10:23:24

Thank you esmesbees. I just worry about her, it's been like a week now. Reassuring to hear others have been through the same thing and their lo's are fine and it didn't affect their eating :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now