Dry skin

(9 Posts)
Redhead79 Sat 12-Mar-16 11:16:05

Dd is 4 months and has quite a few patches of very dry skin, maybe mild eczema in places. We only bath her once or twice a week in plain water.
Anyone got any tips or recommendations?

SohowdoIdothis Sat 12-Mar-16 12:20:20

Stop using any normal household cleaners anywhere in the house, switch to ecover everything, since like hell after using on the bathroom, just a trace in the air can set my daughter's skin off, once started hard to break.

When we visit anywhere(hotel/friends) I clean the bathroom and kitchen with ecover before she uses a bathroom, because the steam lifts particles and triggers her skin reaction.

Florentina27 Sat 12-Mar-16 14:54:46

Also moisturize. My LO's eczema started as a bit of dry skin, I moisturised with weleda calendula which is a cream made of natural ingredients and when her skin cleared I stopped using it... big mistake, her skin went dry again and itchy, after 3 months we're still struggling. Hopefully your LO only has normal dry skin...

chumbler Sat 12-Mar-16 16:57:43

Get moisturiser and bath additive from gp / hv, we use a steroid from gp too on worst bits.

Wash clothes thoroughly, use an extra rinse and only wash using ecover / surecare - for all laundry so that reside isn't left in the machine

Redhead79 Sun 13-Mar-16 08:59:21

Thanks for the advice, I had been using method detergent but will see if the ecover makes any difference.

Caterina99 Sun 13-Mar-16 15:53:44

My 8 month DS has dry eczema (as do I). Yes, reducing irritants and chemicals etc will definitely help, but the only thing that actually works for us is a militant moisturizing routine. DS gets slathered in it twice a day. Every day. And it's a right pain as he wriggles about like mad. Steroid cream for the bad bits if necessary, but don't skimp on the moisturiser. Even if the skin looks better. You might have to try a few to get one that works best for you.

Florentina27 Mon 14-Mar-16 05:49:36

Also quit on fabric softener if it comes to eczema, just switching to recover used fabric softener until now as we don't have much problems on her body and didn't think is the case, apparently is a big no no no matter what... Also using dryer for baby's clothes will make them softer

Florentina27 Mon 14-Mar-16 19:13:27

I have recently found a cream that keeps my DD's eczema under control, it's called skin salvation by purepotions. It is all natural but quite tick, more suitable for very dry skin

Pocket1 Wed 16-Mar-16 07:55:37

Had the same with DD - gp prescribed oilatum junior for the bath and mild steroid cream for the really dry patches. This helped massively. Obviously all free as on prescription.

We switched to e45 bath oil when DD was 18 months which is much cheaper than oilatum which the gp would no longer prescribe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now