2.5yo cries to come home

(13 Posts)
wheresthel1ght Wed 09-Mar-16 18:53:48

My dd is 2.5, very articulate and up until recently loved nothing better than romping through the woods on dog walks, trips to the shops and generally anywhere we took her she loved.

However I have noticed in the last month - 6 weeks she is constantly asking to go home and becoming really quite distressed. Even places she goes a lot like to my parents or my fil's home. All places she has been visiting since she was born and has been happy in.

She attends a cm as I work 5 days a week but only til early afternoon so I enjoy doing things with her I. An afternoon but lately she refuses. She sleeps well at the cm's so isn't often tired when I collect her and so I am at a loss as to what to do in order to manage it.

I hate seeing her so distressed, it is more than just a standard temper tantrum. Is this just a phase? Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with it?

Thanks

wheresthel1ght Thu 17-Mar-16 17:07:11

Anyone?

Primaryteach87 Thu 17-Mar-16 17:09:21

Sounds tough. Is she wanting something different from you, is she wanting cuddles or to be read to or something you can't easily do out and about?

5minutestobed Thu 17-Mar-16 17:13:02

My DS went through this phase at exactly 2.5. We just stayed in more for a few weeks and it seemed to pass, he also didn't want to walk anywhere and wanted carried.
I'm guessing its just a developmental thing, one day he just got out the buggy and started walking everywhere again, was very bizarre!
About the same time he also seems to have grow out of toddler group type places and I still can't get him to back to them, he seems to prefer places with less children/toy sharing as he was finding it upsetting.
Just try and go with it, everything's a phase!

wheresthel1ght Thu 17-Mar-16 17:32:53

Primary no she just wants to be at home. She doesn't seem to want cuddles etc she just a doesn't seem to like being out of the house.

Ohh that sounds promising. Have been trying to stay at home more but sometimes I need to get out the house! Between her playing this game and being at work I never see the outside world!

starpatch Sat 19-Mar-16 05:57:49

My DS wanted to stay home a lot between 3 and 3.11. Definitely if he had been out in the morning he would want to stay home in afternoon. He was really active before that often out 3 trips per day and he is just starting getting active again now. Hope your DS gets active again soon!

amysmummy12345 Sat 19-Mar-16 22:41:04

My DD cries to go home... Even when she's at home confused it's usually when she's having a tantrum or upset about something... I think she's coming to realise its a safe place when she's feeling unsure about something...

wheresthel1ght Sun 20-Mar-16 08:43:55

Amys she doesn't really throw tantrums yet (yes I know I am lucky!) but if o say to her ohh lets go to the park she will happily go but as soon as we get there she wants to come home. Or if we see shopping she will say she wants to go home and will cry til we get in the car.

Am hoping it is just a phase but it is really frustrating

amysmummy12345 Sun 20-Mar-16 13:19:16

It's so annoying isn't it when you've got something nice planned and they start with the "I want to go home"... If they'd only just let themselves enjoy it!!! hmm

Sprink Sun 20-Mar-16 13:24:03

This is a shot on the dark, but is it possible she's anxious about needing a loo?

Is she still in nappies?

Wineandpopcorn Sun 20-Mar-16 13:36:23

My 2.4 year old is exactly the same!! I am hoping it's just a phase, but equally I think it's quite nice that they obviously are so happy at home smile.

JustABigBearAlan Sun 20-Mar-16 13:38:50

Is she like this at the weekend too? If not, I'd say maybe she's been 'out' all day at the cm's and is just keen to get back to her own home?

wheresthel1ght Sun 20-Mar-16 13:57:41

Sprink she is still in nappies, have tried a few times to toilet train but no success as of yet! Plan to crack it over Easter as she is starting to get the idea

Just no it's all the time. I thought at first it was just cos she was tired after a day with the cm but it's weekends and extended times when she isn't with the cm.

She has been really good this weekend and we have managed 2 days out to the local farm prk which has a massive adventure playground and not a mention of going home, I. Fact she has been the opposite and demanded we don't go home! But she has had her big brother and sister here this weekend so maybe she is just bored of me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now