How can I stop all the chivvying?

(7 Posts)
Labracadabra Mon 07-Mar-16 16:07:42

I have 2 DDs aged 5 and 2 and I work full time. DD1 is in reception, DD2 goes to a fantastic nursery. They are generally very lovely and well behaved girls with no real "issues" but I feel like I'm always having to chivvy them to hurry up and get on with things (getting dressed, getting ready to get in the bath, getting out of the bath once they've finished etc.). They just drift about in that aimless way and get distracted by other things (playing, drawing, putting teddy to bed, examining every hair slide) which j know is perfectly normal but results in me feeling like it's a constant stream of "hurry up, put that down, get your clothes on, leave that alone". Ultimately I decide when and what they do and I know they're not going to just get on with it at their age, but how can I stop feeling like such a nag?!

Runner05 Mon 07-Mar-16 16:29:37

Have you tried giving them a timetable where they get stickers for doing things and a treat at the end of the week if they get enough stickers?

2 is very young but the 5 year old may do well with that system.

Trottersindependenttraders Mon 07-Mar-16 16:37:21

I have two of these who are 4 and 7. You can send them upstairs to get dressed, but they're like magpies and are easily distracted by something shiney! 7 year old has a short and simple 'things I need to do list' e.g. Get dressed, clean teeth, but she mainly ignores it so we've reverted to chivvying and reminding (nagging??).

Not sure what the answer is, I guess they'll get there with time and so will we with the help of gin.

AnyFucker Mon 07-Mar-16 16:38:25

Are you joking ?

You have at least another 15 years of this smile

drspouse Mon 07-Mar-16 16:56:29

Mine are a little younger (thankfully DC2 is still of an age where I can dress/plonk in highchair/carry to car) but with DC1 (aged 4) making everything a race can help. I normally only use this for getting dressed in the morning (racing me or racing DC2) and I don't use it every day.

Also some things are done after some other things (e.g. breakfast is after getting dressed, story is after teeth, DC1 is allowed to watch a short video on the tablet after pyjamas/clothes in wash basket) so reminding that's what we're doing next can help. We occasionally warn a few times that there will be no X if we don't do Y, and even more occasionally give a countdown and then DON'T do X - maybe once every 3 weeks having no video before bed is enough of a threat!

But I feel your pain!

Also ignoring the faffing so just saying "shoes on now" and then going to get my own shoes, coat, hat etc, not keeping on saying "shoes!".

KanyesVest Mon 07-Mar-16 17:58:08

Another house of it here. My three two are 38 5.5 and 3.5. I've discovered that as soon as I stop flapping/reminding it happens much more smoothly. I have no idea why, but the odd time I remember to stop, it all gets much easier. confused

AwfulBeryl Mon 07-Mar-16 20:44:45

Tbh I think you just to accept your fate, this is it I'm afraid.
[gin]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now