what am I doing wrong with the carseat?

(14 Posts)
cornishglos Wed 02-Mar-16 12:19:46

Dd is 4 months and has a maxi cosi carseat. We've taken out the newborn bit that goes behind her back but she still has the head support. Most times when I pick her up after a journey she is leaning forward and all curled up. It doesn't look comfortable or safe. Any ideas please?

Onsera3 Wed 02-Mar-16 12:25:50

Neither of my two have ever seemed comfy in the Maxicosi Pebble we have.

I think the cabriofix their cousins have used looked comfier. Or it's that there cousins are slim and I have chunky babies.

I'm going to move DD into a different rear face seat soon. Bought it for DS at 8mo as he was so uncomfortable in the Maxicosi capsule seat.

ThisWasCrownjewel Wed 02-Mar-16 12:35:33

Same here onsera3 - we started out with the pebble and poor DS looked like he'd been squashed into it - he had no room to move his arms at all and it was a struggle to pull him out! We swapped for a cabriofix at 4-5mths and the difference was amazing, much more comfy and easier to get him in and out. At 8mths we swapped again for a Britax First Class (rear-facing initially, then forward-facing from 12mths) as although his head wasn't quite at the top of the cabriofix, his feet and shins were overhanging the bottom and he was able to kick against the rear part of the car seat and I was worried he'd damage his knees or ankles in an accident. The First Class is a great car seat if you're not too fussed about having one you can carry them about in or clip onto the travel system, plenty of comfort and a reassuring "click-safe" harness that tells you when it's tightened fully. DC2 will use the cabriofix for the first few months while I need to keep them contained, then I'll be buying another First Class once they're big enough to sit in the pushchair part of the travel system.

Topsy34 Wed 02-Mar-16 23:55:28

I Would go into mothercare or similar and ask their advice.

Make sure her bum is well into the bottom of the seat, the straps are likely to still be needed on the lower setting at the shoulder. Don't layer her up, so no think cardigan or coat. Ds will have vest, babygro and light cardi for the car, his head goes to one side, rather than forward

cornishglos Thu 03-Mar-16 05:03:46

Thanks. I stupidly didn't think of the strap settings. Will check those.

Onsera3 Thu 03-Mar-16 05:13:02

Thiswascrownjewel- that's good to know you confirmed my theory! Stupid pebble. I would have taken my sister's cabriofix but we had the isofix base for the pebble and everything.

I tried adjusting the straps and everything. I have the Maxicosi car seat cosy toe so they can go in without many layers of clothing. Nothing has helped.

chumbler Thu 03-Mar-16 11:11:42

thiswas far better for baby to hurt their ankles in an accident than to break their neck. Advice is always to wait until head is at the top of the car seat, regardless of leg space as they can bend their legs easily to fit

chumbler Thu 03-Mar-16 11:13:12

op I had the same problem, I moved the car seat to tilt slightly back rather than tilting forward, if that makes sense!

cornishglos Thu 03-Mar-16 12:08:04

Yes it does, thanks.

Dixiechick17 Thu 03-Mar-16 23:14:26

My Maxi cosi is belted, and when I put it in, I make sure she is reclined by tilting the seat itself, so pulling upwards feet end then tightening the belt. it's designed to do this and will stop the head flopping forwards.

cornishglos Thu 03-Mar-16 23:17:07

Thanks. I think that's all I can do.

ThisWasCrownjewel Fri 04-Mar-16 02:27:46

Chumbler - thanks for that, the First Class is suitable from birth though?

chumbler Fri 04-Mar-16 08:07:52

Sorry this was, I didn't realise that. Just didn't want anyone thinking you have to "move up" a car seat if legs don't fit, but you "moves across". Apologies smile

chumbler Fri 04-Mar-16 08:08:56

Moved*

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now