question for co-sleeping mums

(42 Posts)
bunny85 Wed 02-Mar-16 09:55:45

Hi everyone

My baby is 3.5 months old and we co-sleep. I read a lot on Internet about adult mattresses and toxic nerve gases that are dangerous for babies but all the protective mattress toppers are only available for baby mattresses in crib size (from what I found). What can I do to protect my baby? What do other co-sleeping mums do? Is buying a whole new adult organic cotton mattress the only option? I hope not as they are very pricey confused

TIA

Gisla Wed 02-Mar-16 10:02:46

We just have a normal mattress.

ShelaghTurner Wed 02-Mar-16 10:04:57

We had a normal mattress too. All I did was move down the bed so that my head was level with their bottoms. They were in their own sleeping bags and i could pull the duvet up round me nicely. Otherwise we proceeded as (cautiously) normal.

ODog Wed 02-Mar-16 12:45:55

We used our existing normal mattress.

BettyBi0 Wed 02-Mar-16 12:48:49

I've never heard of this toxic nerve gas in mattresses issue. Is it particular kinds?

We just had a new normal mattress as I read something about how many kg of manky skin cells the average mattress picks up over the years and the mites/allergens that thrive on them. Yucky!

NickyEds Wed 02-Mar-16 12:51:51

Dd is 7.5 months and ends up in our bed every night. We just have a normal mattress. The only thing I've ever read wrt mattresses and Co sleeping is that try shouldn't be very old and saggy in the middle but flat and firm. I'd be hmm about any talk of dangerous gases!

Artandco Wed 02-Mar-16 12:52:14

Ours is a regular maters but is a natural
Fibre mattress so I think that's ok.

Also just put baby right at top and moved Dh and I pillow down a bit so baby feet at our face level

Bishybishybarnabee Wed 02-Mar-16 18:59:28

Normal mattress too

NotWithoutMyMerkin Wed 02-Mar-16 19:03:01

Normal mattress

PeteHornberger Wed 02-Mar-16 19:15:19

Normal mattress here too. Never heard about the toxic nerve gases, that sounds like something that wouldn't be good for anyone, not just babies.

Mind you, my husband releases some toxic gases sometimes (badoom tish!)

fanks Wed 02-Mar-16 19:22:31

Normal mattress here 😃

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Wed 02-Mar-16 19:30:08

Normal mattress here too, although we have a waterproof mattress protector in case of sick, leaky nappies etc.

Blerg Wed 02-Mar-16 19:31:23

Normal one here too. Never heard of this issue. I did do a thorough Hoover of mattress (with bi carb) before baby arrived.

Underbella Wed 02-Mar-16 19:31:29

Normal mattress here. I put down a blanket for dd to sleep on to catch sick etc.

I don't worry myself about gases, mites and dust etc.

FoxesSitOnBoxes Wed 02-Mar-16 19:32:58

I thought it was fungal spores in mattresses? I did worry about this but did nothing about it!

waitressinacocktailbar Wed 02-Mar-16 19:34:19

I've never heard of this and my son co-slept fine on our normal matress for 4 years

KittyandTeal Wed 02-Mar-16 19:38:01

We had a normal mattress and it was all fine.

Why, in 2 years of cosleeping, did I never think of sleeping further down the bed with the duvet over all of me?!

That will definitely be my tip when ds arrives if he sleeps like dd1 did didn't sleep more than 2 hours together for almost 2 years

Bluecarrot Wed 02-Mar-16 19:38:15

Sorry to disappoint you but lots of new carpets, sofas, fabrics etc will all give off toxic gases. Flame retardant sprays are quite toxic.
It would be extremely difficult to avoid everything. Even organic isn't defiantly safe.
Have a look here:
www.healthychild.com/prevent-toxic-off-gassing-when-you-cant-afford-to-buy-an-organic-mattress/

Lovelilies Wed 02-Mar-16 19:41:38

Normal mattress here too smile
Will definitely it's the 'move down the bed' tip when dd2 arrives this summer grin

Cel982 Wed 02-Mar-16 19:46:35

Bluecarrot, there's not a single citation in the article to provide any evidence that mattresses release gas, or that said gas is harmful to anyone. This is pseudoscience at its best.

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Wed 02-Mar-16 19:48:37

Normal mattress. She's already used to my toxic nerve gasses so I'm sure she'll be fine grin

madwomanacrosstheroad Wed 02-Mar-16 19:59:24

The only thing remember regarding toxic gas on mattresses was a tv report regarding cot mattresses. That was around 20 years ago. I do know that the stuff in fire retardants is quite toxic, also the softener in any pvc (raincovers, changing mats etc) as well as the fumes coming out of new furniture, especially if it contains chip board. However gas specifically in adult mattresses is news to me.

trilbydoll Wed 02-Mar-16 20:02:00

Our mattress is ruined from babies being sick on it, any toxic gases in it have come from them!

bunny85 Thu 03-Mar-16 09:10:21

Thank you all! Made me feel better. Our mattress is quite new so I guess we'll just stick with it and not stress about it. Hoovering it would be a good idea though anyway - doing it today!

Lol at husbands' and babies' own toxic gases. We've got plenty of that too.

Artandco Thu 03-Mar-16 09:16:34

Oh we do and did have a very good matress protector (times two), so matress survived unscathed any wee/ vomit or similar

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now