Swimming!

(9 Posts)
Gingerbiscuit22 Tue 01-Mar-16 17:03:15

Hi,

When did people first take their baby swimming? And what did they put them in, nappy wise? And did you put them in a full swimming costume or just buy something to put over their nappy?
My little girl is 6weeks old and I am planning on taking her this week.
Thanks

icklekid Tue 01-Mar-16 17:09:58

You need a swimming nappy and then we used a happy nappy over the top!

KatyN Tue 01-Mar-16 17:11:00

I think the advice is to wait until their first set of jabs at 8 weeks.
Personally I think 6 weeks is a bit tiny and she's likely to get cold.
K

NotWithoutMyMerkin Tue 01-Mar-16 17:11:06

As above, disposable swimming nappy and then a tight neoprene swim nappy over the top of that. Depending on the temperature of the pool, you may also need a swim wrap to help with body temperature

NotWithoutMyMerkin Tue 01-Mar-16 17:11:41

I thought the waiting for jabs was out of date now. I asked this when taking DD to swimming lessons and was told it was fine before jabs

NotWithoutMyMerkin Tue 01-Mar-16 17:12:22

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1035.aspx?CategoryID=62&SubCategoryID=63

almostthirty Tue 01-Mar-16 17:13:23

Dcs swim school take them from 6 weeks but ours started at 6 and 5 months.
A swim nappy and over nappy to stop leaks and maybe a wet suit vest if young and using a public pool (dc swim lessons are in hydro pool so very warm)

ODog Tue 01-Mar-16 21:03:30

Defo a wetsuit type thing if going in a public pool as they get cold very quickly. Plus a disposable swim nappy and a happy nappy.

skankingpiglet Tue 01-Mar-16 23:06:40

DD does waterbabies and has been going since she was 3mo. They say babies need to be 12wks or 12lbs to start with them, and don't need to have had jabs. The age/weight thing is, as a PP said, about heat loss I believe.
They need to wear a swim nappy with a happy nappy over the top, then you can get neoprene body wraps or wetsuits to keep them a bit warmer. DD is 20mo now, and I still don't bother with a swimming costume, it's not necessary yet IMO and would only serve as a fashion thing.
If you do go you'll need to go to a pool with a baby pool really as main pools are often very cold for babies. DD gets blue lips within 40mins in our main pool even wearing a wetsuit, and I doubt would have lasted 15mins when she was 3mo. Her lessons are in a hydrotherapy pool which is several degrees warmer and it makes a huge difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now