Drowsy, quiet, upset 8 month old - help

(19 Posts)
amandalk91 Mon 29-Feb-16 13:27:49

Sorry I'm just a bit worried and I don't know if I should go to our gp. My daughter woke up at 7 this morning and she just didn't seem right. She's crying on and off all day (not like her she's so happy) she's drowsy, struggling to stay awake long. I took her temp and it's nearly 40 degrees. She is vomiting up her food and looks red eyed and snotty. Any ideas? She's down for another nap right now sad

randomsabreuse Mon 29-Feb-16 13:32:07

Drs now. Phone to check not A&E instead

icklekid Mon 29-Feb-16 13:33:32

Have you given calpol to lower temp?

Nicknamegrief Mon 29-Feb-16 13:39:15

Have you given her anything to reduce her temperature?
If you have and it hasn't helped the GP or NHS direct are worth a call.

amandalk91 Mon 29-Feb-16 13:42:57

I gave her calpol at 7 and half 11 and her temp has stayed the same? She's also pooing a lot and has only had a little bit of rice pudding :/ I called 111 they just said a nurse will call in 2 hours.. useful, booked an appt for half 3 I'm just scared

Ilovenannyplum Mon 29-Feb-16 13:49:04

I would definitely take her to the GP OP, just to put your mind at ease

Hope she's feeling better soon

Whatdoidohelp Mon 29-Feb-16 13:54:43

Is she taking in any water? With that high a temp That isn't lowering with calpol I would take her to the sick kids hospital/a&e especially as she is drowsy.

icklekid Mon 29-Feb-16 13:55:04

Glad you've called 111 and got a gp appointment. Hope all is ok

Nicknamegrief Mon 29-Feb-16 13:55:13

If it was me I would probably want to take them to the GP in that case as well. Mainly because I would be getting worried. I have never had a GP tell me I've wasted their time for similar visits.
Hope she feels better soon.

Mrsmulder Mon 29-Feb-16 14:00:26

Have you tried neurofen for temp? It will often work when calpol doesn't. She does need to be seen by a GP tho, I am not surprised she is drowsy with a temp of 40. Is she drinking and passing urine?

larrygrylls Mon 29-Feb-16 14:04:07

A&e I think. They never mind checking over a sick baby. 40 is high but not ludicrous but drowsiness is a bit of a red light.

I would not wait 2 hours.

snorepatrol Mon 29-Feb-16 14:04:14

Hi OP if you're really worried and think she needs seeing now I'd take her to your local a&e department.
I work in a&e and when it comes to children you wont find anyone working in an a&e who thinks a parent bringing in a lethargic child is 'time wasting' there is no such thing when it comes to babies.
Especially if she is not responding to calpol.

sunshine7981 Mon 29-Feb-16 14:25:17

Take her to a and e. Took son to a and e with rash once - he said the most important thing to be concerned about in babies is if they suddenly become drowsy.

MintyBojingles Mon 29-Feb-16 14:47:07

If she's drowsy and not responsive take her straight to A&E - don't wait for Drs.

AnotherStitchInTime Mon 29-Feb-16 14:52:14

I think she needs to be seen by a doctor.

Is she taking in any fluids and having wet nappies?

You need to make sure she is stripped off to her nappy to cool her down.

keely79 Mon 29-Feb-16 14:59:37

Take her straight to A&E. They will not mind at all, and she may be getting dehydrated if she's not keeping liquids down. I did that with my DS (he was only 3 weeks old) despite NHS direct at the time saying to keep an eye on him, and they admitted him straight away (we were there for a week - 2 days in ICU). Please don't delay.

jellymum1704 Mon 29-Feb-16 15:25:55

Hope she's fine.flowers

amandalk91 Tue 01-Mar-16 11:28:45

Hi everyone thank you for your replies. We ended up going to a and e and there was a 3 hour wait to be seen.. ridiculous. We just asked a nurse to look at her quickly and they're not too concerned and believe it's a cold. Checked her temp this morning and it's gone down to 37.5 thankfully.

Nicknamegrief Tue 01-Mar-16 13:13:14

Glad all is well, hope she continues to improve.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now