Do you put your LO straight back to sleep after night feeds??

(19 Posts)
mrsjoker35 Tue 23-Feb-16 02:26:28

So my LO is 11 weeks today , and of course she still gets up once during the night being just now.
I was just sitting wondering now that she's been changed and fed do I lay her back down and encourage sleep or since she's only staying awake for an hour and a half to 2 hours ,do I just wait till she drifts herself then put her down? I know ,kinda silly question just wondering what other mummies do and what would be better

mrsjoker35 Tue 23-Feb-16 02:38:51

"Lol you look sleepy ,mummy"

GreenRug Tue 23-Feb-16 02:43:53

I would put her back down as it's about getting them into the habit of realising night is different to day time, so at night it's feed then sleep (not that my dc takes any notice at all and prefers to stay awake for at least an hour after feeding and she is substantially older than 11 weeks!)

nicg85 Tue 23-Feb-16 03:01:32

What I've done since my LO was tiny is feed, change and then feed and she would fall back asleep.
Keep lights low when she wakes in the night and don't talk or stimulate her much.
Hopefully she will be ready to go back to sleep with a full belly and a clean nappy.
Good luck smile

Amiatotalmug Tue 23-Feb-16 08:56:37

My little one is the same age and he has a feed, wind and nappy change then back to sleep within 30mins.

I'm trying to get him to self settle so he goes in the cot awake but drowsy and listens to white noise. He lightly gut a for 5-10 mins then drifts off. If he wakes again I give a cuddle then restart the white noise. I think by this age they start to learn day and night, thank goodness grin

ODog Tue 23-Feb-16 11:01:54

I'm pretty sure my DS would BF back to sleep at that age (albeit briefly before waking again!). When that stopped I would rock him back to sleep. I think it depends on the baby. My DS would never had just drifted off on his own and always needed a bit of help. He still does really at 20mo but it's more laying with me in bed and a bit of hand holding.

ANiceSliceOfCake Tue 23-Feb-16 19:21:26

I'm just wondering, when you nappy change is it because she's pooed? Because I don't change at night now unless my boy has pooed as it wakes him up too much. That helps us get him straight back to sleep.

FireflyGirl Thu 25-Feb-16 09:38:37

From a few weeks, DS was only changed in the night if he pooed.

Generally, he'd wake up, and I'd feed him back to sleep. 20 mins max, and he spent most of that with his eyes closed. As pp said, we made night and day very different to help him learn.

reallywittyname Thu 25-Feb-16 16:59:43

Yes, encourage her to go back to sleep asap! Make night time very dull and different from day time. Keep it dark and quiet and only change her if she's pooed. And don't talk to her. Worked for us but both my dds fed to sleep anyway... although then you do have the risk of "transfer fail".

JennyC520 Thu 25-Feb-16 20:04:55

She normally falls asleep while on the boob and then I put her down after feeding. Sometimes she wakes up while i put her down and falls back asleep herself.

With regards to changing nappies, how does everyone manage to not change them at night? I manage to leave her nappy for about 4-5 hours before she starts crying needing a change/nappy feels wet and heavy, sometimes the vest feels slightly damp too! Definitely couldn't go a whole night without changing!

Gillian1980 Thu 25-Feb-16 20:19:21

Nowadays DD generally sleeps through but if she does wake up I change and feed her then after winding I put her back in her CIT straight away. I don't talk to her at all the whole time and keep the light minimal.

When she used to wake regularly I'd only change nappy if it was pooey but I'd feed, wind and then rock back to sleep asap.

Jennyc - what nappies do you use? I found pampers hopeless overnight, but asda supreme protection are great for my DD. She sleeps 12-13 hours and I've never had a leak.

JennyC520 Fri 26-Feb-16 18:54:58

I have pampers sad and we got quite a few stocked up since it was on offer.. meh... seems branded stuff isn't always the best!

SweepTheHalls Fri 26-Feb-16 18:57:49

Feed and straight back into bed unless pooey. Pampers at night here too smile

Gillian1980 Fri 26-Feb-16 21:03:41

I think how effective the brand of nappy us just depends on the individual baby, probably to do with their body shape and individual wee output.

LHReturns Fri 26-Feb-16 23:00:04

I don't think you should send her back to sleep. I think you should courier her STRAIGHT around to my house so I can snuggle her all night long. Your baby girl is GORGEOUS!!! I want one.

Congratulations OP!!

bakeoffcake Fri 26-Feb-16 23:06:50

I was just about to post the same as you LHReturns..

She is gorgeous MrsJoker

Cmuir18 Sun 28-Feb-16 22:02:34

My lo is ten weeks. He wakes up once - gets fed and changed if needed and is back in bed in about 15/20 mins. I feed him in the dark and don't take him downstairs with me to make the bottle.
When he wakes I take him out our room and put him in his cot, make the bottle bring it up and feed him, change him if needed and then straight back to crib. We use Ewan the sheep to help him drift off if he is wide awake but only using that when have to now.

scatterbrainedlass Mon 29-Feb-16 17:39:53

I used to change first then feed to sleep. Def try and get her back to sleep asap.

Pinkshire85 Mon 29-Feb-16 17:42:56

My LO is 8 weeks and gets fed in the dark and put straight back down, she lays in her basket and kinda snuggles herself down to sleep after a few minutes. I don't talk to her to try to keep any stimulation to a minimum as to not wake her more than needed and if I need to change her I do it with a really low light on our bed so not to wake her. Seems to be working although I may regret saying that!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now