Newborn cold

(11 Posts)
darrenwis Sun 21-Feb-16 23:35:11

Hi,

Our 4 week old boy has a cold and is all blocked up and sneezing. Are there any products people could recommend? A lot seems to be 3 months +

Thanks in advance.
D

madamginger Sun 21-Feb-16 23:41:43

Normal saline nasal drops are suitable from birth, you'll have to get them from a pharmacy

TitusAndromedon Sun 21-Feb-16 23:43:26

We used Snufflebabe nasal spray, which is just saline, and a bulb syringe to help unclog our twins' stuffy noses. However, the best investment has been a humidifier. Now that they are a little older we put in a few drops of olbas oil. Not sure if you can do that with a newborn. In any case, I think even the humidifier on its own is really helpful.

darrenwis Sun 21-Feb-16 23:45:53

It says Snufflebabe is not suitable under 3 months.

TitusAndromedon Sun 21-Feb-16 23:48:19

The nasal spray is suitable from birth.

madamginger Sun 21-Feb-16 23:48:58

The calpol nasal spray and drops are also suitable from birth but are just the same as the saline nasal drops which would be much cheaper. In my area they are also available on the care at the chemist scheme

teacher1984 Sun 21-Feb-16 23:50:41

Titus - which humidifier did you buy?

Daffodil1210 Sun 21-Feb-16 23:53:48

Snufflebabe also do a nasal aspirator which was really good for clearing my DS's snotty nose when he had a cold when newborn. Much easier to use than the other "bogey sucker" we had (NUK one)

darrenwis Sun 21-Feb-16 23:55:20

Super thanks all!

TitusAndromedon Sun 21-Feb-16 23:59:26

We got this one, Teacher. Mostly because it was cheap, but I've been really happy with it. www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/4836902.htm

Sometimesithinkimbonkers Mon 22-Feb-16 00:07:50

Saline nasal spray and a hooter pooter .... Or in RL a Nuk bulb sucker!!!
Makes a real difference as does having the window open and a couple of books under the head end if the cot. If your Babba is particularly unwell the see your GP. Our DS had Calpol on night 2 at home as midwives decided he was in pain. Just need to prescribe the right fuse according to weight.
Feel better soon bubba X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now