Meningitis jab - has my DS had it?

(11 Posts)
Ilovenannyplum Thu 18-Feb-16 20:52:23

Sorry if this has been done already but what immunisation exactly is it that people are queuing round the block to get their DC?

DS was born Aug 14, and I --maybe naively t--hought that he had been vaccinated against meningitis with the 4 lots of jabs he's already had....

Someone please educate me blush

DearTeddyRobinson Thu 18-Feb-16 20:54:54

Can you check his red book? If he has had it there will be a record (the meningitis B jab, which is in the news at the moment, is called Bexsero).
Or give your GP a cal and see what they have on record

Flossieflower01 Thu 18-Feb-16 20:55:43

Do you not pay attention to the vaccines that your children receive?!

Wondermoomin Thu 18-Feb-16 20:57:59

No I don't think he will have had it being born Aug 14, he would have been too old to meet the cut-off for the NHS. The only way you can be sure is to check the red book. Men C should be there, but the new vaccine is for Men B.

Ilovenannyplum Thu 18-Feb-16 20:58:03

Thanks Flossie. Helpful input.

He's only had the Men C (at 12 weeks, 16 weeks and 12 months)
I didn't even think to check the book, thank you

FatimaLovesBread Thu 18-Feb-16 20:58:26

He will have had the meningitis c jab. The meningitis B one was introduced in Sept 2015 for children born June 15 onwards

Peppapogstillonaloop Thu 18-Feb-16 20:59:25

Yep he won't have had the one everyone is on about, it was rolled out for babies under 4 months at sept 2015..

Petradreaming Thu 18-Feb-16 21:00:15

Hi, I think he will not have had it. My grandson was born Aug 15 and has it but I know of babies born May 2015 who haven't, you can get it done privately though. Worth every penny .

Ilovenannyplum Thu 18-Feb-16 21:14:10

Thanks everyone, I'll look into him getting it done privately

Wondermoomin Thu 18-Feb-16 21:36:36

There's a national shortage of the vaccine for private patients sad

If you want it done, and you find somewhere that is offering it, grab the chance!

Florentina27 Fri 19-Feb-16 06:58:01

A friend's of mine baby was born Aug 22 and she's had both men B done. I'd worth checking with GP before going private. I signed for bcg vaccination for my baby and they said she'll have it done in 2 weeks. She had it done at 3.5 mths and I had to call hospital to remind them lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now