switching from formula to cows milk

(11 Posts)
uhoh2016 Thu 18-Feb-16 09:04:56

Ds is 1 I'm keen to get him switched to cows milk (were going on holiday in April it will be easier not to be taking formula making up bottles etc)
How did you introduce cows milk instead of formula? Straight swop over or half and half to begin with? Also did you offer the same amounts ie 7oz etc

dementedpixie Thu 18-Feb-16 09:45:40

I did a feed at a time e.g. gave the morning feed as cows milk and kept evening one as formula. After a week or two swapped the other one too. My two didn't seem to notice a difference. I gave the same amounts

Seeline Thu 18-Feb-16 09:51:05

I just gradually introduced it to the formula so started with 2oz of cows milk mixed into the bottle of formula and gradually increased until no formula left. Seemed to work well.

Eminybob Thu 18-Feb-16 09:57:37

Just swapped one day. Didn't do it gradually or anything. I don't think DS even noticed!

DangerMouth Thu 18-Feb-16 10:00:52

I just swapped too. It didn't occur to me to make up half and half tbh!

Courts10 Thu 18-Feb-16 10:06:57

I just straight swapped a week before LO was one (I had some formula left then if things went wrong) she was already having cow milk on breakfast etc so it was pretty straight forward

Courts10 Thu 18-Feb-16 10:08:48

P.s I offered a full bottle at both bottle times (LO was on 2 bottles a day) as cows milk isn't as filling as formula.

NickyEds Thu 18-Feb-16 15:11:16

Straight swap. We had half a tin of f left and if he rejected the cows milk I wanted to use it to do half and half without buying another tinblush. As it happened he took it well.

soundsystem Thu 18-Feb-16 22:25:47

We swapped one bottle at a time, with a straight swap to cows milk, didn't really occur to me to give half and half. So the morning bottle became a beaker of cows milk with her cereal.

We held on to the bedtime bottle of formula for a while longer (until 14 months) then dropped it completely, with a cup of milk downstairs with supper half an hour or so before bed.

jamtartandcustard Fri 19-Feb-16 09:25:15

Just used up all the formula then switched straight to cows milk. Don't think they noticed

MintSource Fri 19-Feb-16 11:15:46

I think I did a few 1/3-2/3 and half and half bottles to start with - mostly just to check that he didn't have a reaction to cow's milk. He didn't seem to notice any difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now