Cot bed duvet or single duvet?? And where to buy?

(17 Posts)
mumtosp Wed 17-Feb-16 20:02:21

Hi all,

3.2 yo DS is barely fitting into his grobag anymore and he is keen to move onto big boy duvet smile He is still sleeping in his cotbed... so I am not sure if I should get a cotbed duvet or straight move onto a single bed duvet...

Also, not use about tog value.... any suggestions on where to buy them will also be helpful.

TIA smile

Kerberos Thu 18-Feb-16 07:07:29

I would go cot bed duvet. We got ours from IKEA.

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Thu 18-Feb-16 07:10:07

We got a single duvet from IKEA - think it's 4.5 tog. It is a bit big but I just fold the bottom of it over.

RoganJosh Thu 18-Feb-16 07:13:23

Have you still got the sides on the cotbed? If not I'd definitely go for a single duvet. They fit on sideways nicely, you can tuck half of it down the side of the bed.

Womaloosh Thu 18-Feb-16 07:14:13

As he's 3.2 I would go for single duvet. DD's cot bed was top narrow for her from around 3...so if you have to replace the bed soon, it's probably better to go for single...

Womaloosh Thu 18-Feb-16 07:14:56

too

GreenSand Thu 18-Feb-16 07:29:04

Are the bars off? If yes, single 4.5 tog turned sideways, and much of the excess tucked under the mattress on the wall side.

If still got bars on cot bed, ,4.5 tog cot duvet. Dunelm, Asda etc both had years ago. You won't be able to get a thicker one.

BikeRunSki Thu 18-Feb-16 07:33:10

Single duvet laid sideways is perfect cotbed size, with plenty of edge to tuck in.

poocatcherchampion Thu 18-Feb-16 07:36:43

We bought the 11tog single ones from IKEA and turned them sideways on cot beds. Our house is freezing at night. I regret it though and wish I'd got the 7.5tog.

imwithspud Thu 18-Feb-16 07:42:01

We have a 4 tog cot bed/toddler bed bedding for dd1, she was around 18months though when we moved her out of her sleeping bags. We got ours off eBay (new), I think they had thicker ones and different sizes too. If it's especially cold we just lay a fleece blanket over the duvet.

wonkylegs Thu 18-Feb-16 07:44:12

We went for a cotbed one but DS was a bit younger when he started using it and only came out of his cotbed when he was nearly 6 (we moved house so he had a bigger room) ours was from john Lewis.
We had 2 a 4.5 and a 7.5tog - he has always been too hot in the 7.5tog so it's hardly been used. Now he has a single bed & duvet it's still only a 4.5 as anything else is too hot. He like his dad seems to run hot at night! Even last night when it was freezing he threw his covers off because he was too warm. So I would say tog rating is a bit person dependent.

RubyChewsDay Thu 18-Feb-16 07:44:24

Argos do them.

Also look at the 'gro to bed' range.

Its a sheet that zips on to a duvet cover, the duvet fits in and the pillow slots in the top.

My DD loves it and cant fall out of bed.

dementedpixie Thu 18-Feb-16 07:47:03

Maximum tog recommended for a cot bed is 4.5tog whereas you can go up to 10.5tog for a single bed (something to do with the size of the child relative to the size of the bed)

RubyChewsDay Thu 18-Feb-16 08:02:38

gro.co.uk/grobag-nursery-stay-on-bedding

MiaowTheCat Thu 18-Feb-16 12:36:55

We dutifully trotted out and got cot bed duvets and honestly I wish I'd just got a single duvet - much cheaper and wider range of bedding available and you can just put it on the bed sideways tucked in at both sides.

To be honest I waited till the summer to introduce duvets to mine on the basis they weren't likely to wake up cold when they'd kicked their covers off in the middle of summer and that worked well. Mine were out of grobags quite young though - they're tall and were hitting the length limits of the 18 month size ones and I didn't want to buy the next stage up really.

BrightandEarly Fri 19-Feb-16 19:04:28

Another vote for single duvet.

We only used the cot bed duvet for a few months before moving to single bed duvet placed sideways, as a pp has suggested. Really helps keeping DC in place smile!

mumtosp Sat 20-Feb-16 19:23:58

Thanks everyone!! Decided to go for the single duvet 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now