Do you ignore dirty looks from your DC?

(3 Posts)
Pantone363 Wed 17-Feb-16 15:03:59

Or do they not even give them?

DS (8) is awful for them at the moment. Screwing his face up and giving me filthy looks over the smallest thing. For example he just tried to get his sister in trouble by exaggerating something she had done. I said why are you getting involved? He had come from another room to tell me what she had done (ripped a book up). She hadn't ripped it up, she had torn a page out of her own notebook.

He gave me the filthiest scowl in return. Do you ignore or not

MadamDeathstare Thu 18-Feb-16 04:46:06

If it is a look that is the natural result of being angry I would ignore it.

If he is intentionally pulling faces at you then I think it is worth saying something, because you don't want him getting into the habit of doing it to other people. It will make him look rude and immature (even though he's only 8 so obviously he is still immature). It's not that far off sticking his tongue out at people. You could either be direct about how the face makes you feel about his behavior or go the indirect route such as 'Are you OK? Because you are pulling such an odd face it looks like you are constipated/gassy'.

TheMasterMurderedMargarita Thu 18-Feb-16 06:10:08

It depends on the situation but if it's on purpose I do.
My Mum used to say "If the wind changes your face will stay like that" so I say that to DD and it usually snaps her out of it.
There seems to be a lot of drama at school amongst the girls with so-and-so was crying because someone else looked at her funny so I reckon it's a good thing to make them aware.
<also the owner of the classical 'bitchy resting face' and it has caused its own problems>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now