how is your day structured with a 3 month old?

(19 Posts)
jellybelly8 Tue 16-Feb-16 18:26:14

Would love to know how others day looks... nap times, feeding frequency, bed time, set activities etc.

I'm just wondering if other mums share such an unpredictable day as mine with my first baby who is 3 months. We have no structure or routine and I wouldn't even know where to start.... for those that have a structure, how does it happen?

Thanks for any feedback

Artandco Tue 16-Feb-16 18:28:29

At 3 months I just did whatever I fancied and took baby with me in a sling. They don't care

gunting Tue 16-Feb-16 18:35:48

My son is 15 weeks and we don't really have a structure to the day but they usually end up going the same way.

He feeds 3 times a day and as two bottles each time so he will have his morning feed, play with his toys and then eat again and we might go out or just chill. There's no real routine

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 16-Feb-16 18:36:28

My ds is 4.5 months. He gets up at Between 6.30 and 7. Milk. Short sleep after 2 hours awake. Wakes at 9.30-10 ish. Milk. Play, sit in activity centre while I cook or clean, go out sometimes. 11.50 (Gina ford!!) Goes to sleep for 2-2.5 hours. Milk. Play. Another short sleep at 4 which we're trying to drop. Milk. Bath or sponge bath. Is currently wanting to go to bed but I'm keeping him up til 7. He'll wake at 9.30 for milk and again at 3or4 am. Very occasionally will sleep through.
Times etc depends on whether my other DC are at school or at home. I really want to start doing more because it can be very long days!

ODog Tue 16-Feb-16 18:37:32

I ebf on demand at that age so feeding was all over the place. Naps were similarly erratic. Tended to go out in the morning at around 10/11am to a baby group/class or meet friends for lunch. Maybe PPP to grandparents in afternoon or a walk. All very unstructured at that age I would say.

BisherBasherBosher Tue 16-Feb-16 21:22:40

My DD is 7 months and still doesn't have a routine. Tbh, I can't be bothered to stress myself out trying to impose a routine on her when we're both perfectly happy the way we are. If she's tired I cuddle her to sleep, if she seems hungry I feed her etc...She does nearly always seem to get sleepy approx two hours after she's woken up though.

caravanista Tue 16-Feb-16 21:28:37

Far too soon for structure! Take each day as it comes and if your baby starts to show patterns of feeding and napping then it's a bonus.

BriocheBriocheBrioche Tue 16-Feb-16 21:32:42

My dd2 is and we don't have much of routine. I breast feed on demand apart from her bedtime bottle which we give her at around 19:30 so she 'goes to bed' at the same time as her bigger sister.
The rest of the day is just feeding/napping/popping out/bit of tummy time/sitting in the bouncer!

cornishglos Tue 16-Feb-16 21:33:24

Woken up at 6 by her noisy older brother. Lounges in bed with mum until dad goes to work. Up for the day around 8. Noisy brother keeps her awake most of the day unless we go out walking, then she's in tje sling and can't keep awake! Catches sleep in the car otherwise. Feeds on demand. 7pm brother goes to bed so she cuddles dad and gets some much needed sleep. Woken by mum and dad at 11pm for nappy and last feed. Wakes 1-2 times overnight for feeds. Repeat.

mrsmugoo Tue 16-Feb-16 21:35:49

Bisherbasher - just so you know, not all routines are "imposed". I had a routine with mine from about 5/6ish months and it was totally baby-led. He fell into his own routine of feeds and naps with very predictable gaps between them.

It worked well for me because I planned my day around them. He was a much happier baby if I was at home when he was tired and could feed him and put him down in the cot as opposed to snatched pushchair naps.

I do find some people to be rather judgemental about the word "routine".

cornishglos Tue 16-Feb-16 21:35:56

Activities include cuddling, batting toys whilst sat in a chair, wriggling on a playmat and being carted around to toddler groups/ cafes/ shopping/ to the park...

Hufflepuffin Tue 16-Feb-16 21:41:58

Structured? Hahahaa.

Honestly though, around that time I did start making an effort to get the baby to sleep after 90 mins - 2 hours awake. How long he slept always varied though so there was never any routine.

jellybelly8 Tue 16-Feb-16 21:55:13

Thanks for all the replies!! I was secretly hoping that most people would chuckle at the idea of a routine at 3 months. I know some babies find their own structure and you could almost set your watch by them. Mine definitely isn't one of those!

All I can be certain of is that my day will start before 6am! Mine LO's a real little sleep fighter and Ebfing on demand so no structure.

Thanks ladies, I am reassured :-)

BisherBasherBosher Wed 17-Feb-16 03:10:38

Fair enough mrsmugoo, I didn't mean to come across as snotty about routines. My DD has never naturally fallen into one. Even when she was in the womb we used to joke that her only pattern was that she had no pattern! If a routine works for you and makes your life easier that's great. I do see a lot of people who get stressed out trying to make their baby fit a text book though, which I don't see the point in if it makes their life harder rather than easier.

Topsy34 Wed 17-Feb-16 07:31:56

No Structure! My aims for each day are get ds2 to school, feed ds2 whenever he needs it, eat lunch and try and get out the house for a long walk, shopping, baby group or coffee

NewNameNoFace Wed 17-Feb-16 10:34:05

Not much structure here either.

He always wakes for a feed between 5-6 then but goes back to sleep then will always need to be woken to take DS1 to nursery, that's literally the only thing that's constant.

He seems to be going longer between feeds (bf) and having periods of big gummy smiles, feeding then sleeping.

Bedtime no routine, my eldest has a bath/shower most evenings if babas awake he will jump in too. Then he comes downstairs with us for feeding and cuddles until we go to sleep.

Try not to worry what other people do and just do whatever works for you. And enjoy the cuddles grin

Effiethemonster Wed 17-Feb-16 21:06:14

Currently my day is made up of trying to get my 3m old dd to BLOODY SLEEP. No routine whatsoever. I feed a lot but mainly to rule out hunger whenever she cries before attempting to get her to nap.

I'm finding this stage quite tough tbh, i live in constant fear of an overtired meltdown and normally start trying to get her to sleep about an hour after she last woke up.

However she will normally go down for the night about 8.30 but we only found that out by accident.

lemon101 Fri 19-Feb-16 11:37:39

hey effie - have you tried guantanamo style techniques wink ? my wee man in 2 months and I just discovered swaddling, dummy and ocean sounds white noise really works.He cries for 5 mins and then conks out for 40 - worth a try?

lemon101 Fri 19-Feb-16 11:38:04

*disclaimer - does not work 100% of time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now