Lunch box items for 16 month old?

(7 Posts)
Alison382 Tue 16-Feb-16 10:11:53

My son starts with his child minder tomorrow and wondering what to put in his packed lunch that I can get from tesco. He can't use his own fork/spoon yet so no point giving him pasta or rice or something.

Usually I give him a sandwich cut up, a few watsits or quavers, a youghurt, some cheese cubes and cake or biscuit.

Are there any brands/items that are good to put in their lunch boxes?

Cuttheraisins Tue 16-Feb-16 10:20:28

Yes to sandwich, but you could try mini rice cakes or mini bread sticks (you can get mini bread sticks in small bags in packs of 8) quavers and watsits are too salty for a 16 month old. Grapes cut in half, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, a banana, you could give him plain pasta with a bit of olive oil and cooked broccoli that he can eat with his fingers (not spaghetti or small pasta shapes, but a shape he can hold with his hands). I'm a child minder and cook for the children I look after and it's part of the job to help them eat! As for biscuits/desert, check with child minder if she could give him a yogurt with a spoon, or you could give him a few biscuits that are not too sweet such as Organix Goodies farm animal biscuits?

Juanbablo Tue 16-Feb-16 11:50:08

Cheese and crackers or oatcakes.
Pitta strips with homous or cream cheese to dip.
Cucumber, pepper and cherry tomatoes cut up to dip.
Grapes, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, melon, mango.
He can eat pasta with his hands. Mix with pesto or a cheesy sauce and broccoli, peas, salmon/tuna.
Make your own veggie or low sugar muffins.

Freezingwinter Tue 16-Feb-16 11:54:34

Cheese and crackers, oatcakes, rice cakes, anything from the cracker aisle in the supermarket. He could eat pasta with his hands? Macaroni cheese, cheese and potato pie in a Tupperware and warned up? Organix do nice snacks. My lb loves the cheese and tomato crackers which are a good alternative if a nice lunch isn't available while we're out! Chopped up pieces of fruit.
Some of the organix crisps, kiddylicious wafers, some carrot/cucumber sticks or suchlike, with hummus. Pitta breads, homemade pin wheels with marmite and cheese.

ButterIsAngelSpunk Tue 16-Feb-16 11:55:41

At 16 months my DS loved breadsticks, ritz crackers, chicken satays (remove sticks), vegetable samosas, and croissants.

minipie Tue 16-Feb-16 12:06:27

Frittata - DD has loved it since a tiny and he can eat with hands easily. You can put all sorts of things in it.

I make a big one and it lasts several days in the fridge.

Chunks of cold cooked meat?

minipie Tue 16-Feb-16 12:06:52

Falafel and meatballs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now