Baby sleeping bag with small neck and/or underarm poppers in age 6-18 months

(14 Posts)
FlumptyDumpty Mon 15-Feb-16 15:50:50

Hope somebody can help! My 7 month old DD is about to outgrow her 0-6 months sleeping bags, and I need to buy the next size up. She's currently in Gro-bags, so I blithely ordered the next size, only to find that the neck is huge, and for some reason they don't do the underarm poppers in that size. Her head can easily slip down inside it, so there's no way it's safe, and will have to be returned.

Having done what seems like hours of research, it seems that none of them have underarm poppers in the 6-18 month size, other than Bambino Merino, which are eye-wateringly expensive and not able to be tumble-dried, meaning I'd have to buy 3, rather than 2. I really can't run to that.

Does anyone know any other make that does the under-arm poppers in that size, and/ or has a small neck?

DD is a long, slim baby (75th centile for height, and 25th for weight) but has a head on 75th centile, so I'm a bit bewildered we're having all this trouble! Her head can still slip through the neck of the 0-6 months size, even though her toes are only a couple of centimetres from the end.

Thanks!

Artistic Mon 15-Feb-16 16:42:24

I don't know other brands but I use the merino wool one and you'd be surprised at how quickly it dries. You wouldn't really need 3 of them!

Topsyloulou Mon 15-Feb-16 20:26:20

Some of the grobags in 6-12 months do have poppers under the arm, I think it depends on the style as mine do. I've also got M&S & Sainsburys bags and they have poppers under the arm. The quality is just as good as grobag but much cheaper. We had different togs to get through spring & summer.

babyboyHarrison Mon 15-Feb-16 20:37:36

Why don't you just sew the arm hole up a little bit. Could always unpick in the future if needed. Then you could have any bag you liked.

FlumptyDumpty Tue 16-Feb-16 01:55:15

Thanks for all your replies. I'm not keen on sewing up the armholes because it'll make it a faff to get her in and out of, if it's tight enough.

I'll check out M&S, I hadn't thought of them, strangely enough. Sainsbo's don't seem to have 1 tog bags at the mo, which we need as our house is warm. Maybe they will have the 1 tog ones as it gets warmer, so I'll keep an eye.

I kept looking at the different styles on the GRO site, but got annoyed and stopped as all the ones I looked at said only poppers on 0-6. Why make such a song and dance about safety and get in with the Lullaby trust if you can't make a neck hole small enough so that it will fit a 75th centile baby who's now too old for it? Surely a couple of poppers don't cost that much?! Grrr!

Artistic I was mainly concerned about drying time in Summer when it's cool and damp, but not cold enough to have the heating on, and washing takes forever to dry. In case of D&V..... Would they dry in a day, do you know?

sallykins123 Thu 18-Feb-16 09:24:39

I got a gro bag make one from T K Maxx and it has underarm poppers.

minipie Thu 18-Feb-16 09:44:46

I have merino kids and bambino merino ones and they do dry in a day, both in summer and winter. And they go up to age 2 so last aaages. Look out for sales/discount vouchers, they can also be bought second hand (but you have to be sure they've been washed properly and not shrunk --like the ones I bought--).

dementedpixie Thu 18-Feb-16 09:48:58

Could you sew the neck bit to make it narrower?

poocatcherchampion Thu 18-Feb-16 09:52:40

Are you sure you are not over thinking this?

It has never occurred to me before. As long as the child is not actually drowning in it it is fine

doodlejump1980 Thu 18-Feb-16 10:00:33

Try the ones in slumbersac.com I think they're great and they always email with offers smile

JarethTheGoblinKing Thu 18-Feb-16 10:05:51

Can't you just sew some poppers on?

minipie Thu 18-Feb-16 19:42:57

I kind of agree with poocatcher, I think once they get to 6 months+ there isn't too much risk of them slipping down inside the bag and being unable to breathe, even if technically the hole is big enough... They are too wriggly for that... I am open to being corrected though!

Believeitornot Thu 18-Feb-16 19:45:38

Silly question but why do you think she's about to outgrow it? Do the smaller ones still fit?

I do remember a similar dilemma - we stuck to the under 6 month ones for ages.

Nousername2015 Thu 18-Feb-16 23:46:31

Mamas and papas ones have poppers on the arms, I do have a 0-6 one though so worth checking on bigger sizes before you buy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now