How to help my DS (4) be less highly strung and stressed

(3 Posts)
MoonDuke Mon 15-Feb-16 09:34:54

DS has always been very intense, anxious and stressed.

He has severe reflux since birth, which is currently under control thanks to strong medication, but it made him very clingy day and night, and it's only in the past couple of years that he has begun to accept DH as a reasonable substitute for me - and even then not always.

He always seems to feel emotions very strongly, whether they're happy or sad ones. He gets frustrated and very angry with himself if he makes mistakes (for example he got so angry last week when he couldn't draw a heart properly. Other examples is when he can't think of the right word in the right language (he's bilingual)). He is very anxious to get things right too, which school has already picked up on.

My worry is that I can see a lot of myself in him and it was only when I was early 20s that I finally managed to realise that if something goes slightly wrong or not how I want it, that it's not the end of the world. I still get quite stressed with work and take everything to heart, but I have improved heaps from when I was a child (but still get weekly migraines, often from worry and stress)

I really don't want DS growing up as anxious as I did as a child. But I don't know how to help him.

He's started doing judo which I'm hoping will help with his shyness, but I'm not sure it'll help him with the other problems.

Any ideas?

MoonDuke Mon 15-Feb-16 13:01:43

Bump

MoonDuke Tue 16-Feb-16 10:36:25

Hopeful bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now