Mums with short sons

(21 Posts)
stairway Sat 06-Feb-16 21:18:09

Both me and my dh are quite short. Although it is not see me thing that bothers me someone once said to me no women ever find my sons attractive. She was a bitch but I'm worried she may have a point.
Is this something anyone else is worried about.
It seems crazy really since my two short grandpas were happily married all their lives and are now the picture of health in their mid 90s. A thread on here about short men has made me paranoid.

MatchsticksForMyEyes Sat 06-Feb-16 21:21:34

My 5 year old ds is destined to be short. His dad is 5'7. DS currently wears 3-4 trousers and 4-5 tops. He is 6 in May.
However, he could charm the birds out of the trees. Everyone loves him so I don't worry about him attracting a partner, unless he grows up like his dad, my ex!

HairySubject Sat 06-Feb-16 21:22:19

My ds is one of the smallest in his class. Including the girls. It doesn't bother him and it's not something I have worried about so far.
I bet he has a growth spurt at puberty anyway and makes it to average height at least.

museumum Sat 06-Feb-16 21:23:02

My son will likely be short. (I'm short and dh is only average).

I am not worried about his future love life - I'd consider women who will not consider a relationship with a shorter guy to be hopelessly shallow and best avoided anyway.

I'm a little sad that like me his chances at many sports will be limited. I would have loved to row.

Noeuf Sat 06-Feb-16 21:25:06

This is a tough subject at the moment. Ds has low growth and we are under a paediatrician. He was talking the other day and I had to tell him he wouldn't get tall, and would be shorter than other men. It's hard, I just hope that he gets through teenage and early twenties unscathed and meets people who see past that short man thing.

Noeuf Sat 06-Feb-16 21:25:53

We are not short, he has had enough tests and scans to be clear that a sudden growth spurt is unlikely.

Dumbledoresgirl Sat 06-Feb-16 21:29:30

Is it inevitable he will be short as an adult? Both dh and my ds2 were the shortest or nearly shortest boys in their classes at primary school. Both are now 5' 10 and ds2 is only 18 so could grow a bit more.
Ds1 is well over 6 feet so having a short parent or two doesn't necessarily mean a child will be short. Most people I know are taller than their parents or at least the same height.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Out2pasture Sat 06-Feb-16 21:29:35

Noeuf would growth hormone and other treatments still be available to him?

stairway Sat 06-Feb-16 21:30:00

Noeuf my brother is only 5ft 4 and has done well career wise. He's gay so no need to worry about the women thing. He was very self conscious as a teen but has escaped with more confidence than me. Some men seem to handle shortness well.

timelytess Sat 06-Feb-16 21:36:25

When I was teaching one of the big revelations about personal relationships was that girls (schoolgirls) love boys who are short. Love them. Adore them. Can't get enough of them. Of course you need to prepare your children for what some people might say or think, and try to give them strategies for dealing with that, but I am fairly confident that they'll find partners!

Smartiepants79 Sat 06-Feb-16 21:37:10

In my experience this is only an issue if the person involved allows it to become one.
My father and uncle are both short Less than 5'2" my dad was always confident and happy in his own skin, being short has never held him back or caused him any issues. He has been happily married to my taller mother for many years. My uncle on the other hand has always had a chip on his shoulder and has issues with his height.
My sister has also just married a shorter man.
There are plenty of short women out there too. How tall you isn't really going to be a factor in whether you truly love someone or not.
Work on their selfconfidence and teach them some good comebacks for dealing with idiots.
I'm short myself and have always loved it!

Fiori Sat 06-Feb-16 21:40:11

I think personality goes a very long way. They have each other.

Noeuf Sat 06-Feb-16 21:41:32

Out2pasture, it's been referred twice and they've come down against - we were warned it is very expensive. I am going to discuss some of the issues next time, including those decisions.
Stairway, I'm really glad to hear that. I deliberately didn't refer to meeting men or women as who knows? And who cares? If he's gay, it's less of an issue grin

hazeyjane Sat 06-Feb-16 21:46:59

We are all fairly short as a family, I am 4'11, dh is 5'5, our dds are 9th and 25th centile.

Ds however is very short and will probably be noticeably short as an adult, he is just under the bottom of the centile scales for height, I have to take up all his trousers by several inches.

He is disabled, so his height is likely to be part of his genetic condition (which is, as yet, undiagnosed)

TeaBreak1 Sat 06-Feb-16 21:49:47

My ds is the shortest child in year to, he's 104cm and will be 7 next month. Dh is 6ft 2 so there's hope yet.

FlatOnTheHill Sat 06-Feb-16 21:52:46

I cannot believe a woman said that about short sons. Bloody nasty and totally untrue.

ThursdayLastWeek Sat 06-Feb-16 21:55:45

The people on the thread you were referring to were narrow minded fools OP.
As was whoever was twat enough to say something so ignorant to you.

Don't pass on your own insecurities to your son, make sure he knows how to treat his partners well and all will be fine.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sat 06-Feb-16 21:59:07

My DH is 5'2" and I'm 5'5", it didn't put me off.

HeteronormativeHaybales Sat 06-Feb-16 21:59:29

dh and I are both short, my father is short, MIL is tiny. We have one son who is likely to be on the shortish side of average and one who will probably be distinctly short. They have a wonderful role model of success, presence and quiet confidence in dh.

The short-man-phobia thing is rooted, IMO, in misogyny. Height is connotated, in our Stone-Age-throwback minds, with dominance. Thus a man 'has to' be taller than his female partner. hmm It's crap, but it seems to be fairly die-hard crap, sadly.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sat 06-Feb-16 22:00:52

Oh and in my close circle of friends there are three other couples where the men are around 5'5", the same as all their wives.

eachtigertires Sun 07-Feb-16 03:04:15

Well, for starters, they may not necessarily be short just because their parents are. My parents are 5"3 and 5"8 and I am 5"1 and my brother is 6"1. But even if they are, plenty of women prefer shorter men, less neck ache for the shorter woman smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now